Drill Press Chuck Runout

Hum .... interesting thought! It's a specialized operation, I wouldn't mind spending $$ on a bit specialized for that.... certainly takes the runout out of the equation. The trick would be finding one long enough to get at least half way through my material - I generally have to advance the drill bit in the chuck a bit with what I am doing now.

As far as how far off they go - it all depends on how meticulous I am with setup. generally not more than 3/16" over 10"/12' the real problems show up when the holes are out both vertically and horizontally.

those holes are nothing for 'deep' either ... drilling ramrod holes is the real tricky bit. I regularly have to make drill bit extensions 4' long and purpose made D reamers for the entry holes.... a giant pain!

In my head I would have though the hole would support the bit and keep it strait through the cut.

Is their some error creeping in when you drop the table to clear the chips occasionally perhaps?

Stu

Yes - I have delved into the deep hole thing extensively. Lamp turners, pepper mill makers, flute makers all need to make deep holes - but they don't need to be particularly accurate as all they do after is mount the piece between centers after an ~voila~ the hole is centered by accident... :(

Therein lies the answer.

Back