Drill press motor not starting or starting in reverse

stupoty

Active User
Registered
Hello,

My drill press is developing a fault intermitently.

Sometimes when you hit the go button the motor just buzzes , if you losen the belts the motor starts but backwards.

The motor is a capacitor start single phase motor.

Time to swap the cap or is this indicitive of some other fault?

Stu

Given the intermittent nature, I'd look at the centrifugal switch. Maybe dirty or worn out contacts.

Could be the cap, the internal switch, or even a winding fault
My money is on the internal C switch also
Does the motor have a lot of hours on it?
I would begin by testing or replacing the cap- do the easiest thing first

Last edited:
I second the centrifugal governor. Sometimes a few taps on the opposite drive end of the motor with a rubber mallet will temporarily free it. You'll usually hear it. It's a free test.

Usually the switch contacts wear out or the mechanism breaks from all the thousands of start cycles

You'd be surprised the number of dirty stuck governors I had seen in the 10 or so years I had worked on single phase motors. I agree though that the switch is most likely the culprit.

Thanks for the input, I'm going to take the motor off and open it up.

Will post progress :)

Stu

IMG_20220531_214752.jpg

Switch seams free moving.

IMG_20220531_215527.jpg

Capacitor measured in the nano farads (50nF) range not the 150 micro farads thats on it.

Weirdly it's also 110v , the motor is 240v.

Hummmm.

Stu

Stu: AC motor's windings are usually arranged so that the cap only sees 110 volts even on a 220 volt supply
Sounds like the cap is bad for sure- good work Holmes!
If you can stuff a higher voltage cap in there it will last longer but the physical size increases with voltage and uF rating.
Keep the value at 150 microfarad but try to go a little higher than 110 volts (I think 125 is the next size up)
-Mark

Last edited:
Stu: AC motors are usually arranged so that the cap only sees 110 volts even on a 220 volt supply
Sounds like the cap is bad for sure- good work Holmes!
If you can stuff a higher voltage cap in there it will last longer but the physical size increases with voltage and uF rating.
Keep the value at 150 microfarad but try to go a little higher than 110 volts (I think 125 is the next size up)
-Mark
I know this is true for dual voltage motors but this true true single voltage motors? Stu is in the UK where 120 volts is not an option. I have a single voltage motor rated for 208 volts and ir has a 220 volt a.c.,145 mf capacitor. I would replace with a 240 volt capacitor even if it meant a lower capacitance. It may start slower but it will start. Once running, the start winding drops out so there is no effect on operation.

Back