Drill press motor not starting or starting in reverse

Yep, should be ~230V rated over here. Looks like someone just jammed whatever cap they had to hand in and hoped for the best at some point.

I know this is true for dual voltage motors but this true true single voltage motors? Stu is in the UK where 120 volts is not an option. I have a single voltage motor rated for 208 volts and ir has a 220 volt a.c.,145 mf capacitor. I would replace with a 240 volt capacitor even if it meant a lower capacitance. It may start slower but it will start. Once running, the start winding drops out so there is no effect on operation.

Is that due to the dual phase nature of US 220v so it's only ever 110v to ground ?

Stu

It's hard to say without measuring the voltage on the cap during starting- most US motors and many UK motors have dual run windings even if
they are labeled as 220 volt only; the start leg is across only one of the two series run coils so the cap only "sees" 110V.
Stu if you can fit a 250 volt cap in there I would do it but my guess is it won't physically fit and you'll need to mount it differently
You could do a test with your voltmeter to know for sure- you can take a reading even with no cap installed
-M

After all these years, if the capacitor hasn't EXPLODED from overvoltage, you should be safe using the same voltage cap. Go higher voltage if you can, but if it has to fit inside a cover, you may not be able to do so. KEEP the same capacitance or slightly higher whatever the case.

It's hard to say without measuring the voltage on the cap during starting- most US motors and many UK motors have dual run windings even if
they are labeled as 220 volt only; the start leg is across only one of the two series run coils so the cap only "sees" 110V.
Stu if you can fit a 250 volt cap in there I would do it but my guess is it won't physically fit and you'll need to mount it differently
You could do a test with your voltmeter to know for sure- you can take a reading even with no cap installed
-M

I haven't actually checked the physical size of the capacitor , I always think of them as being fairly generic in size , I did get the same type as was fitted (solder lugs).

New one might be a little bigger.

Am now ready for enlarge capacitor holder project :)

Stu

Back