Drill Press Motor: Treadmill or VFD

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Didn't know whether to post this here or in electrical so mods move it wherever you deem fit.

I picked up a beast of a Dayton 15" drill press for cheap. It has the original Dayton 1725rpm motor and 2 pulleys. With a bottom speed of 350rpm I need to reduce the speeds for metal drilling. I acquired a 2.5hp treadmill motor, the MC-60 controller, and the choke from a friend. I also have a 3/4hp 1750rpm 3-phase motor and Teco 1hp vfd. Ease of install is not my concern. FWIW I have both a 220V and 110V 20A outlets available. I know I'd have to rig up a few little things with the treadmill setup. What way would you go...... the vfd setup or the treadmill motor/controller setup? Would or should I still install a center pulley for any reason? Thank you.

An interesting discussion in the post below including a similar drill application, one would opt for a higher Hp and optimally more constant torque of the DC motor. I still think that treadmill motors represent more peak Hp then constant Hp, as most of them will run off of 120VAC wall plug with the exception of commercial types. They usually run at higher RPM so you would need a greater belt speed reduction. I cannot see either motor working as a single belt pulley speed, unless you were just going to use it in a low speed mode. So probably jury rig the DC motor to see if it performs OK, and then decide.

I’d go the 3ph w/vfd. Motor hp ratings of treadmill motors are as suspect as shop vac hp IMHO.

I have made the treadmill motor swap on a bandsaw for woodworking, i retrofitted 2 lathes with 3phase motors and vfd’s

I would go 3ph/vfd if I were to do a drillpress

I had a 3Hp treadmill motor on a Wrong-Fu 45. That was enough power to rock the whole machine using the stock pulleys. With all the parts in hand, I'd hook it up and see what it does.

I'd go with the 3ph motor and vfd simply because your bottom useable speed will be lower with that than the treadmill motor (about 2x the rated speed).

Thanks guys. From what I've read elsewhere and now talking with you guys I think I'll go with the VFD. Gotta upgrade my 110v outlet to 20Amps now. :)

Back