Drill Press or Mill?

Drill Press & Mill or Mill Only?

• Drill Press & Mill

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Mill for Both Operations

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters
If you ask, then you have the option, so milling machine would be the answer.
But you may not need any if you didn't use drill press much.
None would be the answer.

Last edited:
To the OP: I faced the same situation. I put up with a so-so quality drill press for years, using it as part of building two cars from scratch. A lot of chatter, and the spindle was always slightly loose, so when you'd apply any pressure, it would skew sideways slightly, but I made due. My "shop" consists of one half of a two-car garage, where the shop machines sharing space with the current project car, so space is always at a premium. Like the OP, I started thinking about retirement and how to set up the shop for the long term. The drill press was wearing out, so I used the chance to make an enormous upgrade and replace it with a proper mill (PM-935). That, in combination with buying a slightly shorter-bed lathe, meant that everything still fits. The mill does everything the drill press did and so much more. No chatter, and it was the first time I ever drilled a hole where the only sound I could hear was the slight hiss of the drill bit removing the metal. Accuracy of hole placement, variable speed, DRO, it's an amazing upgrade if you can swing it. So, I have no regrets and never looked back.

That said... "if" you have the space, then sure, have both, but if you have room for only one, it's a pretty clear choice.

Last edited:
I've got both but will use the mill 90% of the time for drilling metal. My Jet benchtop is pretty worn out and less than an ideal unit. I had bought the heaviest standard Grizzly floor model but sold it after multiple problems and taking months to get parts. I still have a 70s Craftsman "commercial" that still works fairly well. it has a split head so quill slack can be adjusted. I find the quill lock to be very advantageous in making setups. We got an OSHA fine for not having the DP bolted to the floor.

Back