Drill Press Rockwell or Craftsman

intrepid

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to buy a drill press and have found two choices in my area. Both are older heavy iron and asking $150 which is in my budget. The first is an older floor model Craftsman 113.24611 with 15 1/2". Although I prefer a bench drill I think the head will lower and I could mount this on a bench. Second option is a Rockwell 15" bemch model #15080. Both seem to be in good shape with tight spindles. Which should I go for?

Personally, I'd rather have the floor model. But if space is a consideration. I don't think you could go wrong with either, but I'd check to make sure the spindle is running true(ish) and that the chuck can be removed easily enough and isn't rusted in place.

I'm looking to buy a drill press and have found two choices in my area. Both are older heavy iron and asking $150 which is in my budget. The first is an older floor model Craftsman 113.24611 with 15 1/2". Although I prefer a bench drill I think the head will lower and I could mount this on a bench. Second option is a Rockwell 15" bemch model #15080. Both seem to be in good shape with tight spindles. Which should I go for?
I have a Rockwell and like it fine but in looking up the Craftsman (Emerson) it seems to have more speed range. I would go with the more speed range if I was you. Both are good presses. I had to modify my Rockwell with a third pulley to get lower speeds.

Ditto on the wide speed range, very desirable
One thing I wish those older machines had, which most imports have had forever, is the crank for table raise and lower
Very few old american presses had that. I've gotten spoiled now, with my Taiwan cheapie pos press

Last edited:
I have 1 Rockwell (1960's era) and 1 Delta I bought new in the mid 1980's both are floor mounted drill presses. They are quality, industrial grade machines. One thing I really like, they have a split head design the allows for easy adjustment of quill wear and a provides a solid lock. I always managed with the given speed range however, I recently added a VFD to the older one as it has a 3 phase motor. I also have a Atlas bench mounted drill press (seen in my avatar) that I really like too.

There's always more than 2 choices for you being in Md ! :grin:
Sorry sir. You are correct. :) I should have done a better job of qualifying my statement. I meant to say out of the multiple drill presses listed for sale within 30 minutes of me(western MD), I narrowed down my search to two which may fit my needs. I’m going to check out the craftsman this afternoon. This was my first choice and hopefully it will prove to be in as good of shape as the seller describes.:encourage:

Neither. Neither one has the rack and pinion adjustment on the table height. Big fail IMHO.

Neither. Neither one has the rack and pinion adjustment on the table height. Big fail IMHO.
I agree with wanting the adjustment rack. However, I have to start somewhere within my budget with a solid drill. Hopefully I could upgrade down the road if one would become available.

Back