Drill press table lifter

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My old Walker Turner drill press has a column that shows its age. It is fairly easy to lower the table, but tough to get back up.

I solved this problem by attaching a $59 bottle jack for an engine hoist underneath the table. The table weighs enough to compress the jack when I open the valve. It hangs free and sits on a rubber pad at the base. If I want to turn the table, the jack swings freely with it. I have a two piece clamping shaft collar that keeps the table from dropping when turning it. I hang the handle on a nearby 2x4 stud. This is stupidly simple, but I thought I would share it.

Attachments

• Walker Turner.JPG
    Walker Turner.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 81
  • table.JPG
    table.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 76
  • clamp.JPG
    clamp.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 66

hman

Active User
Nice! I've seen a number of drill presses that lack table cranks.

rwm

Robert
I always thought it would be super slick to do that with an electric actuator!
Robert

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
That's a better /less expensive solution than buying the actual lifting mechanism but it is available for those who want to stick as close to the original look as possible, here's the one I recently found locally ,the seller claims it fits a few old models like Buffalo, Rockwell, Delta.etc:

$_59.jpg 7.jpg

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
I always thought it would be super slick to do that with an electric actuator!
Robert

When I built the table for the Powermatic 1200, it came out very heavy so I used a long piece of threaded rod and an old unused drill motor for a lifter. The nut is loose captured on the table and there is a ball bearing thrust on the bottom. It still allows the table to swivel almost 180 degrees.
Aaron

DSCF4436.JPG DSCF3981.JPG

DSCF3983.JPG DSCF3984.JPG

hman

Active User
Adam Savage, of Mythbusters fame, has a website in which he shows off the various projects he's done. Just a couple days ago, he documented the addition of a table lifter (from Ebay) to his older Powermatic drill press:

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock