Drilling Aluminum

Howardd

Registered
Registered
I need to drill a few 3/4 holes in 1/2 aluminum plate using my Rong Fu mill drill. Can I improve the outcome by putting a small flat on the cutting edges of the drill?

Thanks

Howardd

That will help. Google "Tom's techniques" and you'll find a video with tips on drilling plastic, brass and aluminum. He demonstrates slightly dulling the drill bit to prevent "screwing" the drill into the work.

Bruce

He suggests modifying the bit for brass and plastic. I found similar advice on other sites but could not find confirmation of the technique for aluminum.

Howardd

Hi Howard, drilling a small pilot hole say around 3/16" first often helps keep the drill from wandering, and use a liquid like tapmagic or liquid wrench
It takes some power to drill 3/4" holes, make sure you clamp the workpiece firmly- don't try to hand-hold it
Use a slow spindle speed
Mark

He suggests modifying the bit for brass and plastic. I found similar advice on other sites but could not find confirmation of the technique for aluminum.

Howardd

Generally stoning a flat on the drill bit edges is a trick used on materials that tend to grab like brass & plastics. But it also works for thin materials to prevent grabbing at the end of the hole. 1/2" plate isn't considered thin & you shouldn't need to do this.

What issue are you having, is the bit grabbing as you punch through?

I agree, you shouldn't need to alter the drill to make a hole in aluminum.

Have not tried yet. I read somewhere that aluminum grabs like brass and drill bits needed to be modified for aluminum as for brass.

Don’t want to modify a new 3/4 inch drill bit unless necessary.

Howardd

Have not tried yet. I read somewhere that aluminum grabs like brass and drill bits needed to be modified for aluminum as for brass.

Don’t want to modify a new 3/4 inch drill bit unless necessary.

Howardd

No need to over think it, just have at it & see what happens. You should be fine. If you do have trouble, drill a pilot hole, then step up in sizes before drilling 3/4". I'd probably drill a pilot hole anyway before drilling 3/4" to help with the web thickness of the 3/4" drill but it should be fine to just drill with the 3/4" first shot in only 1/2" thickness. I wouldn't use a keyless chuck though, keyed chuck or collet.

For sheet or thin stuff a step drill cannot be beat.

Controlled cut, stays round due to shape and built in corner breaker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Aluminum doesn't grab anywhere near as bad as brass; a standard drill will work fine, just be sure to clamp the work firmly
M

Back