Drilling holes in the table

jmkasunich

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
On purpose!

About four years ago I was finishing up a visit to HGR surplus and saw a couple of guys working in the parking lot. They had purchased a four-head Rockwell gang drill press with a big cast iron table. They were removing the heads (to sell on eBay) and were planning to take the table to the scrap yard a mile away. Long story short, I bought it from them for $50, planning to use it as a welding bench. Heavy, sturdy, and machined flat on top, I thought it was perfect. And the price made it a "you suck" deal.

Turns out, you want to clamp stuff to a welding table. And this drill press table has a coolant trough around the outside, making it impossible to use clamps on the edges. So I started thinking about the "grid of 5/8 holes on 2" centers" approach to clamping. But drilling all those holes....
In the meantime, I bolted a nice old Athol vise to it and have been using it for general metal mangling.

In January 2020, another trip to HGR found a mag drill at an affordable price. Grabbed it. But as usual, procrastination kicked in.

In September 2020, I finally ordered a 5/8" rotabroach from eBay. But the seller canceled the order saying he was out of stock. Procrastination resumed.

In August 2021 I ordered another cutter and it arrived. But I was busy with other things and time passed.

On Thursday I had to fab up a couple rectangular frames for another project, and I was wishing I had proper clamping.

So yesterday I finally got going. Figured out where the ribs and other obstacles are, laid out the hole pattern, center punched everything and started drilling.
Turns out the table is about 3/8" thick in the area where the drill press work would go, and almost an inch thick where the drill heads mounted. I drilled 160 of the 224 holes by roughly midnight, then figured out it would be close to 3am when I finished. So I'm going to do the last 64 today.

table-in-progress.jpg

Good things come to those who wait. At least that's what I tell myself.

Awesome, what brand of cutter, and how's it holding up?

Awesome, what brand of cutter, and how's it holding up?
Fein Jancy Slugger. This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/222263371089

Holding up well so far, but this is free machining cast iron, not steel, so I'm not sure if its much of a test. I'm running it dry to avoid making a paste out of the chips.

I did manage to blunt the tip of the center slug ejector pin - I think I dragged the drill across the table without raising it quite enough to clear and broke off the sharp tip. Ground a new point and carried on.

I saw the pile of dust there. I have broken 2 Slugger cutters, I'm not sure if it's operator error, or not. They were making good Brillo pad swarf, and came apart, I was using through coolant too.

There’s one of those tables down in LA they have been trying to sell on CL for $600. Talk about a chunk of iron! I’m glad to see you making it useful to you and saved it from the scrapper.

BTW, YOU SUCK! :)

Talk about the ultimate jig table.

That is exceptional :encourage:

Back