Drilling insulated firebrick

That stuff is super easy to dril as in you could use a screw driver to manually drill a hole if needed although not recommended just an example showing how easily worked they actually are. When you start your project i would just be sure to have a sacrificial wood backing to fully support the back side which should help eliminate any "Break out" damage from happening. Also if drilling multiple holes like you stated i would probably use a predrilled wooden "jig" just to help keep things neat and Last but not Least If i remember correctly the Dust created from working those firebricks are not good to breathe so make sure you use a proper dust mask.

I think one of your main issues would be with dust packing the drill bit at increasing depths. Whatever method you choose, be sure to lift out the bit frequently to clear the dust.

The dust in this case isn't too bad. The crystalline fraction of the silica in the masonry is regulated now (2 years now for construction industry), and causes silicosis and cancer in people who are exposed to high levels daily over periods of decades. For a small project, just vacuum up after yourself and you'll be fine. You can also do your drilling wet to keep stuff out of the air. A cute but effective trick for drilling holes in masonry is to put down a golf ball dollop of cheap shaving cream on the spot you're drilling, and go for it. The dust ends up trapped in the cream, and you just rinse it off.

The shaving cream is a neat trick. I will have to remember that.

That brick reminds me of florist foam in how it cuts

Oooh, I like that shaving cream idea too. That's going to come in handy for something, for sure!

-frank

It's actually an OSHA asbestos abatement trick, but with the new silica law in effect I've been including the shaving cream method in work instructions for masonry, too. You can do it on a wall, even works on the ceiling. Works with hole saws as well.

It's actually an OSHA asbestos abatement trick, but with the new silica law in effect I've been including the shaving cream method in work instructions for masonry, too. You can do it on a wall, even works on the ceiling. Works with hole saws as well.

That's exactly where I was going to use it, although not so much for asbestos but rather lead paint, the latest workplace pariah.

-f

I drilled a couple ~4 mm holes with a bit like francist recommended and it seemed to do well. I would definitely want to use a drill jig to at least start the holes. It didn’t make much mess just pecking with the shop vac right there. I am, however, questioning whether I want to drill an array of ~100 holes. I suspect I will have a hard time keeping everything neat. I may still give it a shot. But I’m also working on a 3D printed core to burn out after casting refractory around it.

For slots to receive a heating element, I first cut a straight slot with the drill press and a router bit, then used the T shaped bit. This eliminated excessive packed dust around the bit.

Back