[How do I?] Drilling Into A Tap

I have some taps and tap handles that are not center drilled.
So far I have just used them more or less free hand with good aim.

I don't actually have a taping guide, I use either a center on the lathe, or put the tap in the drill chuck on the mill.
Been meaning to make a taping guide.
I had an idea you are welcome to steal. I was thinking to make a little sleeve that would go over the guide and have a cup on the other end. Seems a pretty simple idea, I am sure it has been done by others already.

I just noticed that a few of my metric taps do not have a point or divot at the end to allow for the usage of a spring-loaded tap guide. The taps are completely flat at the end.

I was thinking about chucking the taps in the lathe and drilling a small divot in the end for the tap guide. Obviously they are really hard, but would a carbide spotting drill work for this or would I be just wasting money?
If you don't need a precision center perhaps you could grind a divot with a small stone in a Dremel.

I'm just following-up on this question from a month ago and the answer is yes you can.

Get you a Kennemetal straight flute carbide drill. Hold it in a ER collet chuck. Run at 2000+ RPM and cutting oil applied. Peck at it, you might get a hole deep enough, then use your centering device.

And 4gsr wins the no-prize with his suggestion!!!

:clapping::clapping:

Here's a pic of the setup.

tap_drill.jpg
That's a little Morse carbide straight flute drill in the drill chuck. The 3 jaw is holding onto the ROUND part of the tap and the cutting parts were inside the chuck, away from the jaws. I had the old SB running as fast as it would go and pecked at it with the drill bit. It's hard to see in the picture, but it worked as I got a little divet in the end of the tap. At first I thought the drilled divet wasn't at a deep enough angle to work, but the spring-loaded guide seems to hold the tap fine. You don't need much.

I have an entire drawer full of GTD taps, a big plastic case set of Hanson taps and yet more sets but only a few metric taps in the one particular set had this problem, but not any more.

Those carbide bits come in handy! I was drilling a small hole in a project when I seemed to hit a super-hard spot in the metal. At first I thought the bit just got dull, but I tried another bit and it wasn't any better. I was getting a bit desperate at this point because I was running out of bits of that size when I remembered the little carbide one. Chucked that one up and it went right through the hard spot. With a pilot hole, the normal bit worked fine.

Thanks 4gsr for the tip!

I will use a tap with a point on the end in the tail stock or mill to hold a tap straight. It works quit well.

Back