Drilling Out A Magnet From A Lid

Get 'em hot, they'll fall out. Or, use their magnetism to lift them out, any steel will do.

Thanks for your advice gents.
I have tried the centre punch as I also expected them to break up, but all it did was blunt the two punches I own.

I will try the soldering iron on them and see if I can lift them with another magnet.

Failing that it's looking like a diamond tipped drill. :)

Thanks for your advice gents.
I have tried the centre punch as I also expected them to break up, but all it did was blunt the two punches I own.

I will try the soldering iron on them and see if I can lift them with another magnet.

Failing that it's looking like a diamond tipped drill. :)

Unless you have a fairly large soldering iron, heat will be drawn away from the magnet by the aluminum, making it difficult or impossible to heat the CA enough to soften it. If you heat a piece of brass or copper rod and press it to the magnet, you should be able to transfer heat to the magnet quickly enough. It would help 5to tin the end of the rod with solder. Heat until the solder melts and a while longer. The liquid solder will provide a good thermal path to the magnet and may even bond well enough to pull the magnet out as it solidifies. If you cant find apiece of brass or copper rod, a steel bolt should work , just not quite as well.

Bob

If you heat the CA glue to remove the magnet watch out for the little puff of smoke that it is going to generate, nasty stuff....

similar to others if the alu box will fit , what about placing the box in the oven for a few minutes place it upside down the neos's should drop out once its warm enough...
I'm a bachelor so I can do stuff like that.....

10471238_10152569946836741_4578022735389393820_n.jpg

Love that image Road I'm definitely stealing it to show people what you single guys can get away with

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I found that on F/B a few years ago....

You might try a supersaturated solution of alum in water. Alum does not react with aluminum, but it will eat through steels. Steels are alloys containing iron. Neodymium magnet is an alloy containing iron.

It will not be a fast process, but it should eat through the magnets in a couple of days. I have not tried it on neodymium magnets, but I have tried it on steel screws in brass and the brass came out unscathed.

Alum is used for pickling, so you can get it off the spice rack at your local grocery.

You might try a supersaturated solution of alum in water. Alum does not react with aluminum, but it will eat through steels. Steels are alloys containing iron. Neodymium magnet is an alloy containing iron.

It will not be a fast process, but it should eat through the magnets in a couple of days. I have not tried it on neodymium magnets, but I have tried it on steel screws in brass and the brass came out unscathed.

Alum is used for pickling, so you can get it off the spice rack at your local grocery.

The problem with this is that neodymium magnets are nickel plated to keep them from oxidizing. Not sure if the alum will react with the nickle. Grinding on the top a bit to remove the nickel might do the trick.

Back