Drilling: Three jaw chuck or er32 collets?

I often use the er chuck on my mill for drilling as it saves me changing from that to drill chuck when milling is involved.

On the drill press I realy like just using morse taper drills though.

Stu

A self-tightening chuck is a miracle of technology compared to a generic key chuck. Much, much kinder to drill shanks, too.

I always have a piece of Norton India stone nearby for taking off burrs if I goof up and not tighten a chuck or some of the other scenarios where it can happen. Most of the fellas that participated in the pass-around box this last year have them, too! ;)

A self-tightening chuck is a miracle of technology compared to a generic key chuck. Much, much kinder to drill shanks, too.

I always have a piece of Norton India stone nearby for taking off burrs if I goof up and not tighten a chuck or some of the other scenarios where it can happen. Most of the fellas that participated in the pass-around box this last year have them, too! ;)

I know a place that has a couple of pipe wrenches next to their drill press to undo it when it gets tightened up way to much.

Has kind of put me off them a bit :)

Stu

I know a place that has a couple of pipe wrenches next to their drill press to undo it when it gets tightened up way to much.

Has kind of put me off them a bit :)

Stu

Pipe wrench is one way. Although a gorilla like that would probably use the same pipe wrench to handle everything from lug nuts to coconuts.

A strap wrench will do it. Stateside, we use the word "spanner" to mean hook wrench or pin wrench, and I really don't know what else to call it for reference, but that type of wrench does a nice job without invoking primitive behavior.

If all wrenches are spanners, what do the English call a spanner wrench?
spanner-wrench-fk-slider.png

Perhaps your Dewalt chucks don't have the locking function.
It might be the way the chuck jaws are made. They have a “step” machined into them to about 1/3-1/2 way down. It almost looks like they intended to machine flats on the jaws but didn’t complete them. I believe this is what makes this particular chuck such a “shank burner”…

Pipe wrench is one way. Although a gorilla like that would probably use the same pipe wrench to handle everything from lug nuts to coconuts.

A strap wrench will do it. Stateside, we use the word "spanner" to mean hook wrench or pin wrench, and I really don't know what else to call it for reference, but that type of wrench does a nice job without invoking primitive behavior.

If all wrenches are spanners, what do the English call a spanner wrench?
spanner-wrench-fk-slider.png

Is a hook spanner a spanner wrench ? (or if you are too into bicycles a "bottom bracket locknut spanner" ha ha :) )

Hook spanner / C spanner (less often maybe) / That popper thing not the center punch (ok ok now i'm just being cheeky)

Yeah wrench is only really "pipe wrench" , "adjustable wrench" , "thermal wrench" (blow torch / oxy fuel) and "wrench on that till it comes lose" implying a bit of heavy handedness maybe.

To make the drill chuck story worse it has a nasty sharp lump on the side where I believe some one has welded a steel bar on in the past to undo the thing.

The danger of (somwhat blunt) reduced shank drill bits. As a positive there are a lot of drill bits which I can practice my sharpening techniques on there sooooooo.

:)

Stu

p.s.
Many apologies op , I believe we have taken the thread slightly off topic :)

Is a hook spanner a spanner wrench ? (or if you are too into bicycles a "bottom bracket locknut spanner" ha ha :) )

Hook spanner / C spanner (less often maybe) / That popper thing not the center punch (ok ok now i'm just being cheeky)

Yeah wrench is only really "pipe wrench" , "adjustable wrench" , "thermal wrench" (blow torch / oxy fuel) and "wrench on that till it comes lose" implying a bit of heavy handedness maybe.

To make the drill chuck story worse it has a nasty sharp lump on the side where I believe some one has welded a steel bar on in the past to undo the thing.

The danger of (somwhat blunt) reduced shank drill bits. As a positive there are a lot of drill bits which I can practice my sharpening techniques on there sooooooo.

Stu

p.s.
Many apologies op , I believe we have taken the thread slightly off topic :)
Meh. S’all good.

I took a picture for you , although I did put the comedy size pipe wrench there for a laugh :)

pipeWrench.jpg

Stu

Just ordered an 'new' (make in china?) Jacobs 14N after fighting with a cheap "Sanou" brand.

Back