DRO is supposed to be here Monday!!!

Before you blame the screws (handwheels), get a mic standard (the longer the better!) or 1-2-3 block and check both the screws and the DRO against that. I recommend this for checking the DRO anyway. Pretty sure the it has a way to compensate.

It is nice to be able to blame the machine, but once you know it's no longer the machine's fault.

I had to make a bracket to reattach the z axis chip cover to as I used the bolt holes for it to mount the x axis reader head. It turned out OK and is functional but not pretty. The only thing I could find that would fit in the space between the reader and the chip guard for the x axis was a piece of fiberglass. It is out of sight though so it may just stay for the long haul.

I measured it all up and ordered a one shot oiler kit. It was only $40 and included pump, tubing, steel tubing covers, manifolds and 6mm threaded fittings. My oiler ports are 1/8 NPT so I will have to make some adapters to fit in the oiler holes and accept the 6mm ports but that should be pretty easy.I already discovered that 1/8-27-1/2 pipe thread will work with a 28 pitch thread cut on the lathe so I will just need to get the 6mm tap.

While I am waiting I can turn out the adapters and finish up some other projects that have been waiting in the wings. Now that I have the DRO installed I have the confidence lacking without it.

Now that I have the DRO installed I have the confidence lacking without it.
It sure does help me not worry so much about losing count as I spin the dial!

It sure does help me not worry so much about losing count as I spin the dial!

Thanks for sharing your dro experience with us. I’m about to order one and have been looking at this exact dro. Does it have all the same functions as the older model? I see clearly the calculator doesn’t have nearly the amount of options as the older. Does this limit the dros functions in any way?

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for sharing your dro experience with us. I’m about to order one and have been looking at this exact dro. Does it have all the same functions as the older model? I see clearly the calculator doesn’t have nearly the amount of options as the older. Does this limit the dros functions in any way?

Cheers,
Mike
Being my first DRO experience I have no idea what the "older models" could do. I haven't really dived into the calculator function yet or really anything beyond basic tracking of movements and centering after finding the edges. I am on vacation for next week and away from the shop and machines so can't really do any testing with it either. When I get back I will be happy to step it through any procedures you want me to so you can be informed before buying. But there are several other users here that have the same DRO who may be able to help you out if you post a thread asking the questions you want answered.

The DRO I got has a fairly basic calculator, regular math and trig functions. Trig functions are handy when you are figuring out the stack height for your sine plate. I find myself having to go back to the manual to use layout functions that I only do once in a great while. What happens when you get old. Having memory for 99 locations seems like a good idea but to tell the truth I'm not sure I've ever used over maybe 20. Bolt hole circle, is great, so is a line of = spaced holes in a given space. You will find it is a really handy thing to have on your machines.

I ordered the exact unit on November 20th. The scales arrive via airmail 12 days later. Still waiting for the display. Tracking is not working for it. The vendor is trying to track it down from their end but I suspect it has been "lost" (more likely stolen) in transit. grrrr. Installing it was going to be one of my xmas break projects.
I've been having a bit of a missing package run lately. I ordered a No 2 m - no 3 fm morse drill extension from an ebay vendor here in Australia (Ive bought form him before and hes pretty good). Australia Post appears to have lost that as well. It was supposed to arrive between Dec 13 and 16. its a no show. Its only about 1000Klm. So more stuffing around to get that sorted. ho hum.
I also ordered a 25 piece set of ER40 collets from the same vendor about a month ago. He split them up into two packages to reduce the postage cost. Both posted together at the same time from the same sender to the same delivery address. One lot arrive in 4 days, the other lot took almost 3 weeks. Went from Melbourne (1000klm south of me) to Brisbane (1100 klm north of me) where it had a little rest for a few days, then back to Sydney (about 140klms south of me) for another 4 day rest and then eventually ended up in the mail centre about 10 klm from where I live where it rested for another 3 days before finally arriving at my address. I'm glad it didn't contain perishable goods or age hardening metal. lol
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread.
All the best to everyone for the new year.
Peter

I ordered the big LCD DRO from Aliexpress for the mill and DHL sent an email saying it will arrive Monday. Looking forward to figuring out how to install it, not so much the process of it, but the arranging the pieces so everything fits and doesn't interfere with the other moving parts. Also need to leave room to install a one shot oiler since the oil caps on the back of the table will probably be inaccessible when the scale is installed.

Anyone got any idea what thread size is on a HF mini knee mill oil fittings?

I am just on the point of ordering a 3 axis set for delivery to my son in NJ. He comes to Cape Town South Africa on February 1st and will bring them
I would be very grateful to hear any order details from you to speed the purchase up. Did you order lengths based on your measurements and did you have to trim them. I am worried that I may not get them correct when it comes to actually fit them
Thanks very much
Geoff
Cape Town South Africa

Back