DRO On the Lathe?

Hi Ray
I am sure you know, but get a 1micron scale for the X axis so you can use either Radius or Diam settings ( another point for discussion).
Secondly while most people seem to be going for cheap Chinese systems with glass scales, may I suggest you invest a little more in the newer miniature magnetic scales( Ditron, Electronica S1 or the even smaller EMC14). Magnetic scales are even easier to fit and are contamination resistant. Important for the X axis.
Finally my lathe was supplied with a cheap Chinese Display (Delos) but similar displays are available under many different brands. While it worked OK I found it a pain to use. Lots of Menu driven settings with many button presses. I threw it away and replaced it with a Easson 12B. What a pleasure to use. I am sure the Electronica models( expensive) that Dro Pros sell are just as good.

Good to see you entering the 22 Century;)
Ron

I don't know Ron... Sounded good at first but after looking at the prices of a magnetic scale setup, I'm thinking travel indicators aren't so bad.

One of the reasons I stayed away from a DRO in the first place was the additional crowding of space on the carriage.

---Gunna go climb under my 19th Century rock and go think some more about this.

Ray

Ray
How much money have you got invested in your machine shop? The EXTRA COST of a minature magnetic scale for the X axis (Ditron or Electronica) and a decent readout such as Easson 12B is peanuts in the overall cost of a machine shop. I have spent many many times my DRO cost in tools. But I use my DRO's every time I use my machines. Good quality magnetic scales and readouts can be purchased reliably from China (via Aliexpress) at much reduced prices.

My advice is a Lathe ( & Mill) DRO is essential if you want to improve your machining don't want to make mistakes. I suspect once you get one and settle into using it (your way) you won't go back. Several well respected contributors have given you excellent advice on how a DRO can be used to achieve fast repeatable accuracy. Sure machining skill is important but the DRO just adds to that.
A good quality DRO is money very very well spent.
Ron

Ray
How much money have you got invested in your machine shop? The EXTRA COST of a minature magnetic scale for the X axis (Ditron or Electronica) and a decent readout such as Easson 12B is peanuts in the overall cost of a machine shop. I have spent many many times my DRO cost in tools. But I use my DRO's every time I use my machines. Good quality magnetic scales and readouts can be purchased reliably from China (via Aliexpress) at much reduced prices.

My advice is a Lathe ( & Mill) DRO is essential if you want to improve your machining don't want to make mistakes. I suspect once you get one and settle into using it (your way) you won't go back. Several well respected contributors have given you excellent advice on how a DRO can be used to achieve fast repeatable accuracy. Sure machining skill is important but the DRO just adds to that.
A good quality DRO is money very very well spent.
Ron

Oh I know but, I'm not doing this for regular profit anymore and the pace of things is pretty slow -and will be for the foreseeable future. I have DRO on the mill and acknowledge that it's indispensable. I get it...

I'll probably go with a DRO. 1um scales seem like over-kill as no machine I've ever work on can predictably cut better than a half thou so, 0.0002 resolution is more than adequate. 0.000005? Too bad the standard scales can't be reduced in physical size. It's the amount of real-estate that the scales take-up on carriage that bugs me. It's hard to keep that area clean and having an additional component up there makes me snarl just thinking about it.

Ray

There are SlimLine glass scales that are used on the cross slide, they are much smaller than standard glass scales. I have magnetic scales on my mill and glass on my PM1340GT, so familiar with both. The most bang for the buck is the ES12B or C (same unit just one has a vertical format, the other is horizontal) with glass scales. You need 1 micron SlimLine (GS31) on the cross slide axis because typically you use diameter mode so with a 5 micron scale the numbers jumps in 0.0004 increments which drives one nuts. Although you may not "need" the 1 micron resolution, the display numbers and accuracy make a significant difference. The cost difference is only $30-50 for upgrading to a SlimLine scale. On the long Z axis the standard 5 micron (GS10) scales work well. Magnetic scales are easy to cut/adjusted and more impervious to contamination, but they are significantly more expensive. If you run a lot of flood coolant then maybe worthwhile, but if on a budget glass scales are very reliable and durable if properly installed.

"Radius mode" vs. "Diameter mode"
http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Lathe_Digital_Readout.htm

Lathe DRO X axis 1.jpgLathe DRO X axis 3.jpg
Lathe DRO Y axis 2.jpg

Ray
The recommendation for a 1um scale on the x-axis is because if you switch from Radius to Diam measurements the resolution is halved. You don't need to take my advice on this as many others have commented on the same issue.

Actually for general turning my preferred setting is Diam and I only change to radius when grooving or threading. This is a personal preference and others prefer Radius. My lathe Cross Slide Dial is actually graduated in Diam so this is an advantage for threading.

The new tape scales that use the EMC14 Readheads are so small that you will hardly notice they are there. Check them out. See http://www.ems-i.co.uk/EMC14 Datasheet (V2).pdf I think DROPROS also sell them or you can buy them from Electronica in India.
I have a slightly larger Electronica S1 1um scale & readhead for my lathe X axis and it is about 1/4 the size of the glass scale it is replacing and also considerable shorter for the same read distance. They can also be easily cut to length so there size can be minimised
Ron

EDIT
Ray mksj posted while I was typing.
My only comment is that the newer magnetic scales are much smaller than Slimline Glass and are much virtually impervious to contamination

Last edited:
The new tape scales that use the EMC14 Readheads are so small that you will hardly notice they are there. Check them out. See http://www.ems-i.co.uk/EMC14 Datasheet (V2).pdf I think DROPROS also sell them or you can buy them from Electronica in India.

My only comment is that the newer magnetic scales are much smaller than Slimline Glass and are much virtually impervious to contamination

There are pictures of the EM14C readheads and the Magna Slim magnetic scales in my DRO installation thread a few weeks ago; https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-ultra-small-dro-just-installed.66384/#post-553743 So far the whole system has been great.

Back