DRO On the Lathe?

Aw shucks, Eddy ... your turntable doesn't have a linear tracking tonearm ... :)
And no air bearings either!!
Shame
LOL, Well, I have too many expensive hobbies, sacrifices have to be made...
I know that I’ve seen one of those Amps before, but whose is it?? What kind of speakers are you driving? But what is that between those two components? DIGITAL? ( more shame) (place smiley face emoji here)
The amp is a Velleman KT 4040, it was a kit, I built it in 03. the thing in the middle is the preamp a Velleman 8021 kit, not digital. Speakers are B&W DM110. Sounds great, at least good enough for me :)

Last edited:
I just installed a cheap ($182 delivered) DRO on my SB Heavy 10. I was primarily interested in the x-axis, as it has no means to measure that travel. I ordered both axes anyway, my eyes are not getting any better. I haven't mounted the y-axis yet, it's a little more complicated than the x. Nice unit, seems well made and nicely finished. Accuracy and repeatability are within .0005 from the testing I've been able to do (using 2 in. mic standard). More than good enough for the girls I date. Get one, you won't regret it.

Whoopee
Who's system is this? Where did you get it? Why haven't we seen any of the required pictures of this installation?:)

I thought you'd never ask.

We'd prefer not to. We're hoping you are more willing to share.

By the way, that is a really nice machine. :encourage: Looks like it is pretty well equipped.

Late to the party but I'll add my two cents worth.

I did my apprenticeship counting turns, marking dials with grease pencils, setting up indicators for final depths, blah blah blah etc. Been there done that. Though I got out of the machining trade, when I bought my first home shop mill an lathe 20 years ago I installed a DRO and have never looked back. Much less chance for error, setups are quicker, parts are easier and quicker to produce.

I don't sneak up on finish cuts. I do an initial cut at my finish depth and feed / speed, measure and set the DRO. Rough at whatever the machine / material will handle and do my finish pass at the same depth I set the DRO. Never had a problem hitting the same number within a few tenths.

To me that art of machining is figuring out the most efficient and/or cost effective way hold and make a part. What steps, tools, jigs, fixtures and in what order. Cranking handles is the easy part.

Now for the pure hobbyist who enjoys the full experience of manual machining and just working on a machine and doesn't have the desire for more modern systems I say go for it.

As for measuring tools I have a first generation Mitutoyo 6" digital caliper and a two year old version of the same. The both perform exactly the same with zero issues (except for me stupidly measuring a rare earth magnet once, miserable to demagnetize). Batteries last a year or more with daily use. I prefer these to my 35 year old Starret and Mitutoyo dials. Much less susceptible to debris/contamination. I don't view calipers as high precision instruments as they are only good to .001". HF calipers are good for woodworking.

I don't mind reading veneer micrometers but I recently acquired a very nice Mitutoyo digital 0-1" micrometer. Game changer for doing sub .001" work.

OK, OK. Uncle, Uncle! I'll get one. I'm almost (see note) ready to get a new lathe and I'll order it with DRO.

NOTE: Almost = 99.93649% certain with a margin of error of 15% . :confused 3:

Ray

Hi Ray
I am sure you know, but get a 1micron scale for the X axis so you can use either Radius or Diam settings ( another point for discussion).
Secondly while most people seem to be going for cheap Chinese systems with glass scales, may I suggest you invest a little more in the newer miniature magnetic scales( Ditron, Electronica S1 or the even smaller EMC14). Magnetic scales are even easier to fit and are contamination resistant. Important for the X axis.
Finally my lathe was supplied with a cheap Chinese Display (Delos) but similar displays are available under many different brands. While it worked OK I found it a pain to use. Lots of Menu driven settings with many button presses. I threw it away and replaced it with a Easson 12B. What a pleasure to use. I am sure the Electronica models( expensive) that Dro Pros sell are just as good.

Good to see you entering the 22 Century;)
Ron

Back