DRO tool heights

Useful with the DRO (or without a DRO!):

https://www.banggood.com/Z-Axis-Pre...minator-Table-Set-For-CNC-Tool-p-1124619.html

This lets you set the tool's cutting edge a precise distance from the work or the mill table/fixture and program that distance (e.g. 50mm or 2") as your Z value - they go up in price, pretty steeply, from the one in the listing, but even the cheap ones should be well within the needed accuracy. Mine came out of the World's Best Skip, as you'd expect, and is a midrange unit, more than accurate enough for me :)

Where did you find a cheaper-than-300-bucks DRO? 3-axis? I'm sure many of us would like to know!

Dave H. (the other one)

Useful with the DRO (or without a DRO!):

https://www.banggood.com/Z-Axis-Pre...minator-Table-Set-For-CNC-Tool-p-1124619.html

This lets you set the tool's cutting edge a precise distance from the work or the mill table/fixture and program that distance (e.g. 50mm or 2") as your Z value - they go up in price, pretty steeply, from the one in the listing, but even the cheap ones should be well within the needed accuracy. Mine came out of the World's Best Skip, as you'd expect, and is a midrange unit, more than accurate enough for me :)

Where did you find a cheaper-than-300-bucks DRO? 3-axis? I'm sure many of us would like to know!

Dave H. (the other one)
I got it from aliexpress.com i just searched around on there and the had a bunch of the sane ones for cheaper. That one listed to me from RGRAY was 260 something and normally 425 or so and i did some looking and got one for 236.44$. Now to get the tormach system and get my mill!

I got it from aliexpress.com i just searched around on there and the had a bunch of the sane ones for cheaper. That one listed to me from RGRAY was 260 something and normally 425 or so and i did some looking and got one for 236.44$. Now to get the tormach system and get my mill!
That price is for the 5μm set, the one referenced above by rgray @$293 was for the 1μm set

Well i just saw its on sale and originally 425. But now that i think of it i should double check what mine was.

Ok so the one i bought says it can read 10um, 5um, 2um, 1um, and .5um. Is that ok? That will read to a half thou correct?

EDIT

Ok so it will read up to 2 tenths so i am good. Now are these scales able to be cut down and made smaller?

Ok so the one i bought says it can read 10um, 5um, 2um, 1um, and .5um. Is that ok? That will read to a half thou correct?

EDIT

Ok so it will read up to 2 tenths so i am good. Now are these scales able to be cut down and made smaller?
Those are choices of scale resolution that you can choose from. One number is standard, the others are optional at added cost, in my experience. 5um is the close metric equivalent of .0002", and is often the standard resolution of scales sent with import DRO kits, with other resolutions being optional. Read all the fine print several times before ordering, and ask questions to the seller and to H-M. It is easy to make costly and frustrating mistakes in ordering a DRO.
Edit: Note that I did not use the word "accuracy", which is a another kettle of fish.

That price is for the 5μm set, the one referenced above by @rgray @$293 was for the 1μm set

I shouldn't link that particular one...my mistake and I think I have done that more than once.
I originally set out to buy that one and the payment system would not work. So since I attempted and failed it
stays on my page. every time I open Alixpress that comes up.
One I accually bought was : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hig.../1708239801.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.oXbsim
I paid the extra and got the 1um scales with it.
My final price in the end was $291.69

Back