Dro's On Budget For Mill

Well I'm not happy to post this, but my experience with my Aliexpress seller has taken a turn for the worse.

Everything was working very well. Then came out Sunday morning and my Z axis scale stopped registering on the readout. I contacted the seller and he keeps telling me to "adjust" the scale like I did for X axis. I've taken it apart a number of times and it does no good at all.

I have been in touch with him and he tells me how much it's going to cost to ship it back, and that the scales were custom made for me and no one else can use them. When I talk to customer service about the situation they tell me to file a dispute.

So I have taken everything off my mill and have packed it up to send back. The seller had told me it would take up to 6 months to get my money back, but I found on the site that says 3-15 days.

I have filed a dispute and the seller has 48 hours to respond. I considered just sending back the 400mm scale, but with it going bad just with testing it and zero use making parts, I don't have much confidence in the scales. Had to fix one from improper assembly, and a second one failed even before I started using the machine. The scales are HXX brand.

Im actually embarrassed to post this after I gave the seller a good recommendation, but if I didn't it wouldn't be honest of me.

I'm going to go hide in the corner now and wait for the shame to wear off. Sorry guys.

Im actually embarrassed to post this after I gave the seller a good recommendation, but if I didn't it wouldn't be honest of me.

I'm going to go hide in the corner now and wait for the shame to wear off. Sorry guys.
Shame? Seriously - what shame?
If you have not packed them up, can you shoot some pictures of read heads - the more the merrier. -Thx
Did this mfg use ball bearings in the head?

tmp_8398-20160103_111348-11217737423.jpg Yes I feel pretty dumb having to post when I apparently jumped the gun posting about a positive experience, and then having it turn bad. The heads do not use ball bearings.

I have a pic of the reader head and I'll post it, but I'm on my phone and it will probably be rotated 90 deg. You can see the 2 bearings in the pic. They ride in small channels in the scales.

Yes I feel pretty dumb having to post when I apparently jumped the gun posting .......
Well then you'll just have remember your score of the Kent Head on a pallet that w/built in coolant.... :grin:
That should offset any feelings that you have about the DRO...

Wow, the pic actually came out right. Let's try again with a second pic. tmp_8398-20160103_111317-236102303.jpg

I would expect those to be considered ball bearing rollers. Are you sure there isn't balls in the races.

We posted at the same time.

Yes the Kent and the head were great scores, just kinda bummed out about the DRO. I wanted to put the Bridgeport up for sale.

Looks like the second pic is rotated. I can fix that tonight when I get home on my computer.

Nothing more in the races, they are just extruded slots.

Another question would be why is it out of position? Looks like it's a 1/4" out.

Yes it's not totally inside the housing. I took that pic to show the seller that I actually had it taken apart. The problem on the X axis scale was that the reader head did not straddle the glass scale inside the housing, it was off to one side. The seller kept trying to tell me to adjust the Z scale so that was to show I had it assembled correctly. I can take more pics when I get home tonight.

I'm just tired of dealing with this seller so it's all going back. I may not get any of money back, and I'm going to have to buy another DRO, but the next one won't have HXX scales.

Back