Drummond Tailstock Handwheel Identification

Hankstains

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys/gals, new to this sort of thing but have been a wood machinist for a number of years and just rebuilt a big three phase mortising machine. Loved doing that but soon realised it would have been a lot easier with a lathe to machine some of those awkward bits you just can't buy. Anyways, just bought myself a case 580b digger as restoration project and know full well I NEED a lathe.
Got myself a 1920's Drummond round bed and have spent the last couple of months bringing it back to life. You can't imagine 1 thing can fit in so many different boxes.....
All working except it is missing the tailstock handwheel.

Now to the Question.....

What do you call this type of handwheel????
It does not fit onto the end of the shaft and turn the threaded spindle. Instead it has a threaded centre and as it turns it stays stationary and the tailstock spindle moves in and out. see photo:
I have made a handwheel that kind of works and will show it if anyone is interested but what I want to know is what are these called and where can you buy one.
Or did they stop making these 100 years ago??????
Any help info greatly appreciated. I cant believe I have not been able to find out by myself on the web.........
Thanks for a great site..
Hank

tailstock.JPG

Hi Hank, welcome to the group.
I am sure that someone will be along with an answer to your question. In the meantime could we see what you have made to work on your tailstock?
Hope you enjoy it here, great bunch of persons.

Hi Hank
Welcome. What year is your 580B? Is it an open cab. Does it have a Case engine or David Brown?
I like seeing old equipment restored. Keep us posted. Sorry I can't help on your lathe.
Cheers
Martin

Hankstains,

Welcome! Rank amateur, here, but after ~1h of asking around, the best I can figure: "captured drive." I wonder if that design isn't unique to Drummond? Again, I don't have much experience, but, neither I nor my Long-beard buddies have seen anything quite like it.

Good luck. Cheers!

Rather, maybe "non-captured" is a better description? (See "non-captured linear actuator" for a similar idea, I think.) (Also, sorry for the double post.)

I had an antique lathe from perhaps the 1850s that had a similar tailstock handwheel arrangement, it had a swing of about 24", and square tapered centers one advantage to the design is that you don't have to crank the quill all the way back to remove the center or other tool, you use a knockout bar.

Internally threaded handwheel?

Best option is to make it. If you do find one chances are you won't like the price.

Back