Dti Suggestions For Newbie

Maybe middle of the road? - Mitutoyo DTI I've been looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JAG31NA25MT368GAXT4

I have the $30 DTI from Little Machine Shop as mentioned by ogberi and it does work well.

I have the Mitutoyo 2776S Dial Indicator and really like it:
http://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-2776...qid=1437191997&sr=8-1&keywords=mitutoyo+2776s

I also have a couple of China cheapies DI's and a Noga magnetic base. Got the Noga when on sale at Enco and a 20% off coupon code.I use the cheapies when there is a possibility of damage from operator error.

I bought a Starrett years ago. It has had it accidental falls over the years but has been very good to me.

When I started there weren't many brands out there or known to me. Starrett and Brown & Sharpe were the most popular brands in the late 1960's.

Don't turn the spindle on with an indicator still in it, this never ends well.
+1 Wreck™Wreck.
I use a digital tenths reading dial indicator in the Tormach for setting my tool comp. I always leave the spindle lock on and the spindle interlock activated when the indicator is in the collet. A real problem happened when I accidentally hit the down arrow while in Mach 3. The dial indicator crashed into the table and stalled the Z axis drive. Fortunately, I was able to take the indicator apart and straighten the bent coupling band and restore the indicator to service. Unfortunately, I don't know how to lock out the down arrow keys to prevent that from happening again.

Bob

I have a soft spot for Mitutoyo. I suggest getting a Mitutoyo indicator and mic.
I keep a premium Shars (the black face model) kinda perma mounted on my lathe in a Noga holder. I use it instead of the dials when advancing the cross slide. I have found it to be remarkably accurate and I cut to the line with confidence using it. It does occasionally stick a bit, you want to always tap lightly on the face to make sure it is settled, and lightly pull the plunger out a bit and let it drop.
I also suggest the Browne and Sharp shock proof dial caliper as a daily beater. Don't buy a cheap digital unless it has a low battery indicator (most cheap ones don't). They will start to give bad readings before the face starts to dim. Either get a good (and expensive) unit or use a dial caliper (this goes for mics as well).
A small dovetail mounted dial test indicator is almost irreplaceable on the mill for centering over holes.

I have a mixture of acuracies and range,

The 0.0001 inch ones can be a pain unless you have got it close witgg a 0.001 indicator first. A lot of the 1/10000 ones have about 1/8" of travle.

As somone said a pointer analogue type clock is handy due to batteries and seeing it get towards its mark. If i'm using tthe clock as a soft stop for threading or turning i find the pointer much easier to use vs the digital.

If you do get a digital i have found the mititoyo ones are very good and the batteries last well (opps i left it on for 5 days i shold switch it off, as aposed to looking for new batteries :)

Stuart

+1 Wreck™Wreck.
I use a digital tenths reading dial indicator in the Tormach for setting my tool comp. I always leave the spindle lock on and the spindle interlock activated when the indicator is in the collet. A real problem happened when I accidentally hit the down arrow while in Mach 3. The dial indicator crashed into the table and stalled the Z axis drive. Fortunately, I was able to take the indicator apart and straighten the bent coupling band and restore the indicator to service. Unfortunately, I don't know how to lock out the down arrow keys to prevent that from happening again.

Bob
Ouch, if I did that on the 40 X 20 Fadal we have here the indicator would be in many pieces before the Z axis servo would stall (-:

Ouch, if I did that on the 40 X 20 Fadal we have here the indicator would be in many pieces before the Z axis servo would stall (-:
That is one advantage to having an anemic machine! I think my heart crashed harder than the machine. I was sure it was toast but the 3/8" shaft took it. It did shove the pointer up further than it was ever intended to go, bending the bronze strip that coupled it to the digital scale. I had to pull it apart to fix. Don't want to ever go through that again!

Bob

That is one advantage to having an anemic machine! I think my heart crashed harder than the machine. I was sure it was toast but the 3/8" shaft took it. It did shove the pointer up further than it was ever intended to go, bending the bronze strip that coupled it to the digital scale. I had to pull it apart to fix. Don't want to ever go through that again!

Bob
We ran 11,000 aluminum parts through that mill in Feb. of this year, 1 1/2" 6061 aluminum rounds 1 1/2" l0ng, one end had a 1/4" wide X 7/8" deep slot across the center 1/4-20 X 1/2" deep tapped hole in the other end. Six parts in V fixtures in 3 vices. Face mill to square the ends, . ran 020 X .020 chamfer around each part. The end mill Manufacturer recomended that we run the slotting OP at 17.000 rpm, 165 IPM feed rate. This mill has a max 10,000 RPM spindle, it worked yet was slow and made a lot of noise

Back