'Dual Dragon' Vintage Machining Centre

Great project so far!!!

For some reason I thought both machines would be combined into one......:jester:

That cabinet is beautiful! Even better with machines on it :biggrin:

Thanks Andre. Glad you like.

I don't have the know-how to combine two machines, but who knows what they'll get up to when my back is turned...

A possible revision of the concept has suggested itself. The Swiss machine is integral, but I'm considering using another machine instead of the Burke No. 0. This:

20141201_142240_zps4e23cd9e.jpg

It's the head of a George Taylor vertical mill which I have just bought. Dating from the early decades of the 20th century, it has been cruelly dismembered by someone but the remains that you can see here are in superb condition. Who would do such a thing, and why? You can see here what this machine would have been like in its original form, complete with stand and flat belt drive. Drool...! It would have cost me considerably more in this kind of condition, though.

I have paid for this bit of kit, but - as I live on an island - won't be collecting it until the Spring, at which time I should be able to judge whether it will work as part of the Dual Dragon in terms of scale. If it's just too big, I'll use it for something else and stick with the Burke.

If I do use The Geo. Taylor, the drive system will be interesting because one of the appealing factors is the table feed powered via that lovely cardan shaft and it would be a crime to lose that. If this machine is small enough not to unbalance the setup it may well be a better solution than the Burke, as it will give the Dual Dragon vertical as well as horzontal milling capability. Also, it is quite a dragon-like beast in its appearance. And furthermore, it would free up the dinky wee Burke Zero for something else...

20141201_142240_zps4e23cd9e.jpg

that is one beautiful mill you have there Gary!!!!
:greenwithenvy:

She looks like she's in very good shape, not even considering her age.
you did real good Gary!!!!!
:applause:

i'm sure concessions can be made to drive both mills.
that's the beautiful part of creation- if you can see it in your head, it can be done with a plan and some effort.
i'm looking forward to seeing more!!!!
mike:))

hey Gary,
what type of collets does the new mill use?
just curious...:thinking:

that's the beautiful part of creation- if you can see it in your head, it can be done with a plan and some effort.
mike:))

A great philosophy, Mike. I totally agree. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Re: collets - Tony on Lathes UK says

'It is almost certain that the miller would have been offered with a variety of spindle nose fittings and examples have been found with a No. 2 Morse, Brown & Sharpe and Jarno tapers - and also, incredibly, a plain bore. Almost certainly in line with the change to anti-friction bearings the spindle was further modified with a 26° taper to accept direct-mounting "double-split" collets of a type not dissimilar to the modern "ER" type'.

However, a set of collets comes with the machine, as can be seen in the pictures. Here's a better view of them:

20141201_142250_zps1988324a.jpg

I suspect they are the 'double split' type that he refers to.

20141201_142250_zps1988324a.jpg

Or come to think of it maybe not, given that there are three splits in each collet! :thinking:

Managed to unearth the second oak pillar from the bottom of the woodpile. It's a restoration job in its own right!

second pillar.JPG

Have now decided to definitely use the Geo. Taylor alongside the vintage Swiss machine, and to have a go at converting the Taylor to CNC as part of the project...

Thanks Mike (say I, after a long silence...)

I mentioned above that this will be a long-term project. I wasn't kidding. Since my last post I have changed my thinking about the Dual Dragon in the light of a bigger project I have started on, namely the installation of a small lineshaft in my workshop in France. The lineshaft will power the Dual Dragon and some other machines. The overall configuration of the DD will remain as it was (I think) but gone will be the variable speed motor as it will now take its power from the lineshaft, and the drive roller will either be connected to or will in fact be one of the lineshaft's countershafts. The videos below show how far I have got with the lineshaft:

gary

Last edited:
Back