Dumb Question About Lathe Chuck Key

With my G4003G I got an 8 inch key that the rod would fall out of and a 6 inch that was already pressed together and rigid as a welded joint.

kd4 has a good approach. I've picked up several chucks at auctions (solo or with machines) - usually the key is gone, or a wreck. I've made 6 keys. I don't bother with anything fancy to secure the handle - just drill & ream the hole for a nice fit on the t-handle (drill rod), then Loctite. It looks nice and very clean.

- on the little lathe, the 6" - 3 jaw had no key (but was size correct for the 8"- 3 jaw on my other lathe). I copied the key from my other lathe.

- on the little lathe, the 4 jaw had a mangled key (roughly hand ground to sort of fit). I just made it to work well and look well.

- got a collet chuck, no key - I made 2 keys. I wanted to try a little stubby key, because it takes a lot of turns to install the collet and I figured it would allow me to spin the pinion with one finger (actually works quite well).

- got two 6" - 3 jaws for the dividing heads (one of which is actually part of a spiral milling unit) - neither had a key, and of course they don't take the same size key. I made sliding handles for them.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/made-a-new-chuck-key.42346/#post-365824

Chuck squares seem to be rather an odd size (it would sure be nice if they were simply 3/8" or 1/2") - I made all mine to fit with just a little play. I figure a sloppy key is going to wear/goof up the pinion.

Definitely no little spring or interlocked chuck key holder in my shop (does that make me a bad person). I don’t really understand the point about an interlocked holder for the chuck key. I have 6 chucks that I may use (I have 2 lathes, but the same spindle – so sometimes I use the chuck from the small lathe on the larger lathe). It would seem a little weird to have an interlocked holder for each key, and even an interlock for the 3 chucks that get used more often would be a bit weird. I'm right picky about never having the key in the chuck unless my hand is on it. I have never seen the need to leave a key in a chuck. It takes about 1 second to put the key in, or remove it from the pinion.

DSCF5993.JPG

NEVER leaving the key in the chuck is the best habit to get in after you put on safety glasses.

I can't stand the spring loaded keys. I hang the key directly behind the head and trained myself to check before turning on the lathe.

grind a bit off and hammer away...spring loaded sucks...great if you like picking things up off the floor

I can't stand the spring loaded keys. I hang the key directly behind the head and trained myself to check before turning on the lathe.

Thats where I keep mine, at about eye line height

With my G4003G I got an 8 inch key that the rod would fall out of and a 6 inch that was already pressed together and rigid as a welded joint.

I have a chuck key that the handle falls off, it's press fitted, I always have to hammer it back together but then it just falls out by it self. very odd.

Stuart

Back