Dumb question of the day - how to remove a tapered alignment pin from an aluminum casting

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I am reassembling a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC. The gear cover came from machine A and the bottom belt housing cover came from machine B. The two parts bolt patterns 'match'. However the rear alignment pin seems to be off by about 1/16 of an inch; it is just enough so that the rear bolts will not qyite thread.
My question is: How do you remove an alignment pin from an aluminum casting? Is it driven from the part sticking out back into the casting or is it driven from the back driving it in the 'longer' direction.
Thanks, Dan

Measure the two ends. The part sticking out is easy to measure. The other end measure the hole size and drive the pin in the direction of the largest size.
Pierre

Well. The 'hole' is not directable accessable; it is at the end of a threaded hole. So I tried driving it though. After a couple of attempts my spyde sense said it should not take that much force so I tried pounding it. That was the ticket. In this case driving it 'in' was the right answer.
Thanks for the pointer. Dan

Back