Dumb question on R8 (i think) spindle

Mine is missing, too. I know it was there when I bought the mill - a very lightly used Vectrax. I could feel it, but at some point it evidently sheared off. I only realized it when it occurred to me collets mounted way too conveniently, and it wasn't necessary to hunt for alignment. I have never had any issues since realizing it was gone. I have a power drawbar that makes tightening very simple. I have never noticed any evidence of slippage.

I thought about looking into what it would take to fix it, but as Yogi said, "If it ain't broke, don't break it." Sounded like wise counsel to me.

Regards,
Terry

Thanks for the feedback guys I will clean up the drawbar and Collett and try again this evening. I had no idea a power drawbar was a thing I guess I learned something new.

Reactions: tjb
Looking at your second photo, I see a set screw in the quill. That set screw is a dog point set screw on some mills and the point forms the key. The set screw may just be backed out too far or the tip may be sheared off. It is possible there is a second locking set screw too.

Another thought is to clean and degrease the outer surface of the collets and the mating socket. Any oil or grease on those surfaces will encourage collet spin while tightening the drawbar in the event that the key is missing.

I am new to this mill and do not have its parts diagram, am relying on the Grizzley diagram so forgive a maybe naive question. You are talking about this set screw? I can remove it and have a look inside if that's what you are referring to.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 100
From the Grizzley manual. Is this the key/pin? If the Enco has one I really can not see or feel it.

To get to it, it looks to me like the spindle collar on the bottom must come off, then I would presume the spindle gets pressed out of the pulley.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 101
In my experience the keyway is too handy to give up. It is worth reactivating that function if possible.
I like to keep some light grease on the outside of the collet so that it closes more easily than when the surfaces are clean and dry. The pin that goes in the keyway only has to prevent the collet from spinning until it is tight. The pin does not work that hard to 'hold' the collet while tightening the drawbar. It is like having a third hand.

I am new to this mill and do not have its parts diagram, am relying on the Grizzley diagram so forgive a maybe naive question. You are talking about this set screw? I can remove it and have a look inside if that's what you are referring to.
Actually, it would be in the spindle itself. The set screw may plug the opening providing access to the spindle key. I can't think of another reason for a set screw in the quill. The G0755 actually had a slot in the quill, a throwback to when Morse tapers were used?
From the Grizzley manual. Is this the key/pin? If the Enco has one I really can not see or feel it.

To get to it, it looks to me like the spindle collar on the bottom must come off, then I would presume the spindle gets pressed out of the pulley.
The key would be the little dot on the lower right side of the drawing of P/N 130. The parts list doesn't show it as a separate part.

Thanks that is very helpful. I'll remove the set screw on the quill to see. If no access there I'll have to consider whether or not I want to pull the spindle.

Another dumb question... does every mill have a brake? I can't find one on my Enco 100-5200 which is similar to Grizzley G0731. I don't see a brake in the manual for that mill.

My G0730 has no spindle brake

Back