Dumpster find wood working vice

churchjw

Active User
Registered
Here is a supper quick project I did a few months ago. It started off as three lumps of rusty metal pulled from 2 different dumpster. I noticed the Wilton name on the first one then went searching for the other two. First step in the project was rust removal. I had read about rust removal using electrolysis but I have never tried it. (A good resource http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm) So a 5 gallon plastic bucket, a bench top power supply, a little chemistry, and 24 hours latter the parts looked like they just came from the factory. I was shocked at how well it worked. I re trued the faces with a fly cutter then surface ground them. Replaced the missing guide rods with an old hardened and polished stainless steel shaft I had picked up from a junk yard. Next was to cut the ACME treads for the main screw. I have never turned ACME threads. One of the pieces I had already had the internal treads I just had to match them. I pushed a piece of modeling clay into the internal treads and used that as my pattern to grind my lathe tool. I cut the new screw and used a little lapping compound to mate it with the existing treads. Turns smooth as glass now. Painted the outside of the cast iron parts. Used rattle cans for this. I hope to set up using a spray gun and automotive paint for projects sometime in the future. Made the screw to handle part out of some hex medium carbon steel I had from another project. I think it was 1018. The handle is made from stainless with brass ends hot pressed on. I tool blacked the face of the vise and the handle to screw part then a quick touch up with a gold pen on the name. It was a fun Saturday evening project and I learned two new things from it.

6091210834_14dea472a4_z.jpg6090666341_cc2f6fafed.jpg6091212330_f57ba11a92.jpg

Jeff

6090666341_cc2f6fafed.jpg 6091210834_14dea472a4_z.jpg 6091212330_f57ba11a92.jpg

Last edited:
Mayhem, that lever is to raise the vise dog. It's a small block that allows longer pieces to be held between it and a bench dog, which is a round bar topped with a rectangular block that is fitted as needed into a series of holes in the bench top. They can be a few inches away from the edge of the table, of several feet. Most woodworking benches have a series of holes spaced about 4" or so apart stretching out away from the bench vise to accommodate various oversized workpieces for surfacing work such as planing or belt sanding. It provides unobstructed access to the entire top surface.

Last edited:
Tony is spot on its a bench dog. I had to make a new one and a retaining spring. I already had a bench dog for the bench from a vise I had in this same spot before. The vise I replaced with this one had the quick release but this one does not. However, the screw is such a low pitch it opens fairly fast so I don't miss it. I am trying to get in the habit of documenting my projects but I always forget the before pictures. Will do my best to do some in the future.

Jeff

Mayhem, that lever is to raise the vise dog. It's a small block that allows longer pieces to be held between it and a bench dog, which is a round bar topped with a rectangular block that is fitted as needed into a series of holes in the bench top. They can be a few inches away from the edge of the table, of several feet. Most woodworking benches have a series of holes spaced about 4" or so apart stretching out away from the bench vise to accommodate various oversized workpieces for surfacing work such as planing or balt sanding. It provides unobstructed access to the entire top surface.

That's beautiful man, puts my Harbor Freight to shame. Hey, it's just like a dumpster, except you have to pay for the crap you remove from it!:lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: never thought of HF like that but you are dead on.

Jeff

Back