Dunkermoteren worm removal.

jrkorman

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a Dunkermoteren BG-65 with the intent of replacing the motor on my Unimat SL1000. The motor works great on the bench, however I'm now looking to remove the worm from the shaft. I've tried a bit of force using a puller but am shying away from violence at this point.
I'm thinking that maybe they used one of various adhesive products that I MIGHT be able to use heat to break the bond.
So I figured it would be safer at this point to put the question out to the group and see if anyone here has had any experience with with these or similar.

Thanks

Heat would probably help, but not too much; you don't want to roast the windings or the bearings
Make sure the gear is really just pressed on and not threaded as well
Can you post a picture of it? I don't know what a BG-65 is- not familiar

Last edited:
Interesting motor. Tried to find a parts breakdown, but couldn't.
There maybe a snap ring, key or set screw holding it in place. If it is pressed on, it could use a locking agent, my concern with heat is the heat causing issues in the motor. You may need a hydraulic or arbor press to apply sufficient force to remove.

Trying to read between the lines; You purchased a used motor that has a worm gear that you need to replace with a "gear" to fit your machine?
In absence of any fasteners being present, I would try heat, you don't need to get too hot to soften the adhesive if it's there.

Unimats are belt drive so probably a pulley

Last edited:
Snap ring - No
Screw - No
Press fit - possible Press fit with adhesive also possible
I've downloaded the documents from the company website - excellent drawings and user manual. The worm is brass and drove a 38:1 gear on a right angle drive attachment. That's why I don't want to damage the worm as I believe I can find a use for the attachment.

20231224_100915.1.jpg

Here you can see it sitting next to the original Unimat motor. I'll have to machine a new pulley as the new motor has an 8mm shaft, but this motor has higher torque and can run continuous. Control is all electrical.
20231224_101341.1.jpg

Maybe a small pin you overlooked? I would examine closely- it may be pinned thru the shaft
I'd be surprised if it isn't pinned or keyed

Last edited:
Maybe a small pin you overlooked? I would examine closely- it may be pinned thru the shaft
I'd be surprised if it isn't pinned or keyed
No indication of a key and using a 10x glass you can see the original machining marks on the worm , but no pin either.

If it was me I’d scrap the idea of saving the worm and just cut it off with a Dremel and small cutoff wheel.

John

There’s a fairly good chance it’s a shrink fit on that shaft and being as long as it is it would take a lot of heat to get it loose.

John

Back