Dunkermoteren worm removal.

Maybe use one of those clamshell gear pullers behind the worm, and tighten the screw on the end of the motor shaft. Apply good pressure and then heat it. You might wrap a damp rag around the shaft between the worm and the motor.

I suspect @matthewsx is right. Anything less than a very tight fit and that worm would slip.

A refinement of @Geswearf suggestion:
Buy a split (2 piece) shaft collar to fit the shaft and mount it, loosely, against the gear (on the "motor" side). Maybe two collars, rotated at 90° to each other. Then heat and use a conventional puller on the collar(s) so the gear isn't damaged.
The wet rag is a good idea to prevent damage to seal or bearing.

Is it possible the gear might be brazed on the shaft?

my guess is the shaft is finely splined and the gear was forced on the shaft with pressure and maybe a securing solution like loctite. it takes a lot of pressure to remove it without bending the shaft. Johns' suggestion of splitting it off with a dremmel type tool and a thin cutoff disc would at least not ruin your shaft and motor. I have removed a lot of gears from fine splined shafts and it takes a heavy hammer which most of times bends the shafts.
Dave

my guess is the shaft is finely splined and the gear was forced on the shaft with pressure and maybe a securing solution like loctite. it takes a lot of pressure to remove it without bending the shaft. Johns' suggestion of splitting it off with a dremmel type tool and a thin cutoff disc would at least not ruin your shaft and motor. I have removed a lot of gears from fine splined shafts and it takes a heavy hammer which most of times bends the shafts.
Dave
Splines aren't something I'd considered, but looking at the end of the worm that would have had to be pressed over those splines, I see no indications at all. I would expect brass pressed over steel splines to leave some marks.

From everything I can find online and your responses here, I would say you need an arbor or hyd press. I would not recommend heat as it will travel down the shaft and could impact the electronics.

Jim,
after studying your motors and shafts and understanding that you want to preserve the worm gear--I came to two solutions that would work.
*my first way would be to make your new pulley ID to fit over the OD. of the worm gear and then step down to a smaller ID to fit the end of the shaft with a set screw to secure it.
*my second way would be to cut your shaft off at back of worm gear facing your motor. there is still plenty of shaft left to mount your new
pulley on. then later if you find a use for the worm gear you can drill out the shaft to fit over a new shaft. or be able to heat and press the old shaft out.
Dave

Last edited:
Back