Dura-bar material.

carvejunky

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. I have been lurking since joining mostly didn't have time - school and work ya know... I have a project that has been on the back burner for a while and need to finish it. I have a bench mill that I want to extend the travel on. I can make extensions on the ways, I was looking at making them with the Dura-Bar material as it would be similar to the base castings. I live in the Cleveland Ohio area and was looking for small quantities of this material. Would anyone know of a supplier of small quantities? There was a place - Metal Express, but they seem to be out of business. I am looking at 2 pieces of 1" x 3" x 3". Those would be the finished dims. Thanks in advance for your help...

Carvejunky

speedymetals carries continuously cast iron bar. As i recall that is what durrabar is.

Thank you for the response. So ductile, grey iron and Dura-Bar are all the same materials. I live close to McMaster so I guess I could get it there. I believe they sell it 1 foot pieces. Thanks again

Carvejunky

Thank you for the response. So ductile, grey iron and Dura-Bar are all the same materials. I live close to McMaster so I guess I could get it there. I believe they sell it 1 foot pieces. Thanks again

Carvejunky

They have round stock in 1" pieces if you need them for gears them.

Paul

Hold on a minute: is dura bar the same thing as ductile iron? I really don't know,but ductile iron is not the same thing as just cast iron. Ductile has been baked in an oven at high temp. for hours to burn out excessive graphite,making it so it's not brittle like cast iron.

It is one of several materials that Dura Bar offers,and isn't the same thing as just continuous cast iron.

Back