Dvorak 10" Shaper value

Ultradog MN

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this little shaper last winter.
Not sure why. Probably just because it was cool and I wanted it.
It is pretty nice. I've done a few projects on it.
Could use a bit of tinkering.
It was made by Dvorak in about 1950. One of 10 of them they built.
The truth is tho, I could use a good power hacksaw or small bandsaw a lot more than a shaper. So I am thinking about either selling or trading it and wondering what it is worth.
I see the little SBs and Atlas shapers going for pretty good money but haven't a clue on this one's value - other than I wouldn't sell it for what I paid for it.
Anybody have a swag as to it's value?
Thanks.
Edit.
By the way I simply do not buy or own offshore tools so a trade would have to be US made.
No offence meant by that please. That's just how I am.

Attachments

• 20210517_140724.jpg
    20210517_140724.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 210
  • 20210517_140741.jpg
    20210517_140741.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I would think that value would be about the same as all the other small shapers that you might see, the fact that it has a real shaper vise on it is a plus.

The size is a plus.... small enough for a hobby shop but a little bigger than the common 7". The brand is a minus though. If I saw a shaper like that listed in my area (western NY) it might have a $1500 price tag on it. The big shapers (e.g. 16", 20" and bigger) don't sell well because they are too darn big and heavy (2-3 ton easy) for us crazy hobby guys who are really the only ones that would buy one! :)

I've got a 7" Rhodes, but would also like to get a lighter weight ~16". There's a older 16" heavy duty G&E for sale near me know, but the darn thing weighs close to 3 ton!

Ted

If you were close I would buy it just for the history of it.

Agree with Ted, the size makes it a bit more desirable to someone that is going to use a shaper, but the obscure brand means nobody knows what it is and I think brand recognition is a big driver of the prices on some of these small machines more than actual capability. I can't imagine that you wouldn't get at least $500 for it, and $1000-1500 wouldn't surprise me.

On the other hand $500 is a pretty decent budget for a vintage saw, so I'd think most trades would be lopsided against you, unless it was a fairly large saw in very good condition.

Back