E-Clip Grooving Tool

bretthl

Registered
Registered
Grooving? Anyway ... anyone know of lathe tooling specifically for cutting E-Clip grooves? I currently use a tool made from O1 but it is not great, I have to cut at 30 rpm.

For some of the larger ones I use my standard parting tool, which is 0.040 wide and for narrower ones I have ground down a HSS tool blank similar to a parting tool.

David

For some of the larger ones I use my standard parting tool, which is 0.040 wide and for narrower ones I have ground down a HSS tool blank similar to a parting tool.

David
I need a 0.050" wide groove.

My mistake. Yes, that is an internal grooving tool. For external grooving, a simple HSS parting tool works fine. A P1-N blade is 0.040" wide and should work well.

My mistake. Yes, that is an internal grooving tool. For external grooving, a simple HSS parting tool works fine. A P1-N blade is 0.040" wide and should work well.

The clip is 0.042". Do you know of a wider cutoff insert? That would be ideal. I have only an HSS cut off.

P1000244.JPG

Ditto; grind one from a tool bit.

This is what I have been using but it is slow (O1 Q&T 0.050" thick). Stays sharp. Does not cut well. Have to turn it at 30 rpm with oil. Is the shape wrong?

P1000242.JPG

I have 60 of these to make (+ additional machining) and I have made only 20 shown below. T416 1/2" round.

P1000239.JPG

P1000241.JPG

Last edited:
Back