Earning Myself Some Beer Money

Nice work but how does they pull with a bearing in the center?

Very nice work. How much tension is on the cable? For prestressing concrete it could be considerable, is the static load rating of the bearings high enough?

Greg

Very nice work. How much tension is on the cable? For prestressing concrete it could be considerable, is the static load rating of the bearings high enough?

Greg

I met the guy who I did this for on Friday afternoon. He explained to me that there are two sides and they tension rebar between two ends to cast prefab wall panels. The tension is not very high and more to straiten and mount the rebar. It is well within the bearing rating considering that they are putting tension on this by hand.
He already installed the pulleys and said the workers are very happy because it takes less "elbow grease" to get the tension on the rebar. They feel the bearings are a good improvement. All he need to do now is to monitor it over a few months and then maybe improve two more units with the bearing option ;-) Hopefully more beer money on the horizon :)

I met the guy who I did this for on Friday afternoon. He explained to me that there are two sides and they tension rebar between two ends to cast prefab wall panels. The tension is not very high and more to straiten and mount the rebar. It is well within the bearing rating considering that they are putting tension on this by hand.
He already installed the pulleys and said the workers are very happy because it takes less "elbow grease" to get the tension on the rebar. They feel the bearings are a good improvement. All he need to do now is to monitor it over a few months and then maybe improve two more units with the bearing option ;-) Hopefully more beer money on the horizon :)

You might consider needle roller bearings for a better load rating if it ever becomes necessary.

You might consider needle roller bearings for a better load rating if it ever becomes necessary.
Thanx for the feedback. Yes, needle roller bearings would have been a better option as it will spread the load over the width of the pulley. I did actually consider it but the problem I ran into was that I were unable to find needle roller bearings which are sealed. All agents I asked, said sealed roller bearings does not exist locally here in South Africa. I think one of the main reasons for the wear on the old pulleys are the dust and sand in the environment they are used.

Thank you to everybody for the ideas and feedback.

When you use a chuck the jaws have only so much clamping area. The jaws exert a lot of force in a very small area. And yes, the jaws can leave a mark(s) in your work because of this. IMHO, the best way to avoid this possible mark problem is to use a collet. Its clamping area is almost 100% surface contact with the part. But it could be another $ addition to your shop. My rationalization to the $ is… I have none, I just buy the stuff I need, you only live once, be happy in your shop!...Good Luck, Dave.

PS; and the jaws have a fixed radii at their clamping faces that does not always match the parts diameter making it an even more unmatched clamping area.

Last edited:
Looks like a great solution, In fact you may get repeat business as they prob has others that need the repair once they see this one. Leave it to people that do not respect others tools and equipment, They will find a way to break it then you will have to do it again.

I refer to that as the iron ball in the plowed field syndrome there are a number of employees that can manage that feat.

A job well done!

Back