Easy tool grinder questions

kb58

Registered
Registered
I've had a lathe for around 20 years, and a mill for a couple, and it's a little embarrassing to say that I've never used HSS cutters, but I want to change that. I've looked at a few old tool grinders on Craigslist and want to ask:

1. How important is it to have the water drip reservoir? I get why water's needed (for cooling), but having it a permanent part of the machine just seems like it's going to rust up and/or leak.

2. Is there anything magic about buying a proper tool grinding machine versus just changing the wheels on a typical bench grinder? I mean, it's just a motor spinning a couple wheels. I'm assuming that the motors are probably 3600 rpm, and I understand that the wheels need to be well-balanced, but the balancing part is true regardless.

3. Summed up, is it better to buy an old used proper tool grinder, or is just getting the wheels and putting them on an appropriate speed motor virtually the same thing, and may actually be better because it's new parts vs an unknown older unit.

Thanks

For HSS a good belt sander with an adjustable table is very handy.

i was lucky to find a HF Baldor clone cheap on CL and I really like the adjustable tables with the guide. Mine has carbide stone and a fine diamond wheel on the other. I leave the two different tables at the angles I use even though they are supposed to be used for carbide the fine wheel does an excellent job of honing my final touches on HSS. The clone is also reversible which I use because depending on HSS or carbide they finish better on the edge either going into the edge or going away. Sometimes I can only tell under the microscope. Yeah I got a stereo microscope for $40 off CL. Wanna see what your REALLY doing, find a cheap stereo microscope. I also have a 8” Ryobi bench grinder and was going to sell it after getting the clone and after going through the expense of getting a ONEway balancing system for it, but its proven to be essential because it’s great for roughing in bits that need radical change and general shop use. So it’s part of the arsenal. Jet 6” grinder with wire wheel and MultiTool beltsander/dish sander, 6” HF clone, 8” Ryobi and U3 Deckel clone tool grinder. Now there ain’t nuthin’ I can’t mess up!

Mine has the coolant cup and I don’t leave it full because it causes the cup to corrode. I now just have a small plastic container with a screw on lid that I keep my water it. This way it doesn’t evaporate, it’s always full and I can take it to which ever grinder I’m using.

1. I assume you mean water 'dip' reservoir. Just a can of water to dip in that's handy.
2. Of course you can get fancy in many different ways with adjustable tables and specific stones but what you now have will work just fine even by free hand holding. I would say most do it that way or at least did to start.
3. Once you've tried it and found what else you want to spend your money on then go for it. No magic!
Aaron

2. Is there anything magic about buying a proper tool grinding machine versus just changing the wheels on a typical bench grinder? I mean, it's just a motor spinning a couple wheels. I'm assuming that the motors are probably 3600 rpm, and I understand that the wheels need to be well-balanced, but the balancing part is true regardless.

I have the exact set-up you describe in your item 2. I run type 50 green and AOX grinding wheels and also cup diamond wheels on a 6" Delta variable speed bench grinder. It will grind carbide as well as HSS.

In order to make it work, I added tool grinder-style tilting tables, which include mitre slots -- but that was the extent of the modifications. For cooling I simply use a dip cup.

When I considered that a new import tool grinder from Grizzly runs $300 + freight, and a used Baldor could run twice that, the choice was relatively easy. And this tool works pretty well.

HTH, Bill
Modified Delta Grinder.jpg

1. How important is it to have the water drip reservoir? I get why water's needed (for cooling), but having it a permanent part of the machine just seems like it's going to rust up and/or leak.

Anything that has cooling water close at had is perfectly adequate.

Abomb79 uses an old grinder with various wheels, and does most sharpening by hand. Then he hones the edge with stones.

3. Summed up, is it better to buy an old used proper tool grinder, or is just getting the wheels and putting them on an appropriate speed motor virtually the same thing, and may actually be better because it's new parts vs an unknown older unit.

The tool grinder is for sharpening end mills and other cutting tools, the bench grinder can handle 95% of simple grinding needs.
While the tool grinder is not necessary, it an perform the function.

The setup pictured above is all you would ever need for lathe bits. One of these days, I'll find a good deal on a Delta or Baldor grinder like that. Meanwhile, it's my Shars Deckel grinder that's my prize pony. It expands my sharpening capabilities to include large drill bits, countersinks, spot drills, end mill faces and flutes, gun drills, and things like that. The next level for me would be a Cutter Master, which eliminates the "blind spot" that the Deckel design has.

Oh yeah, cooling cups are awesome. I just listen for the sizzle of flesh on my fingers, then quickly drop my work into the cup. The fingerprints seem to grow back after a couple of weeks.

Thanks, everyone. I may be using the term "tool grinder" wrong. What I mean is a bench grinder with special wheels on it specifically made for grinding HSS and/or carbide.

There is an amazingly useful thread regarding this topic called “Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools” on this forum. It’s huge, but there is a crazy amount of great info in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty sweet. Did you add the entire tilting assemblies, or where they already there in part?

[edit] It appears to be this one, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-6-in-Variable-Speed-Bench-Grinder-23-196/205364852, so I'm guessing that you added and modified two miter slides.
Yes. That's the same bench grinder. I completely removed the tool rests and wheel covers that came with it and replaced them with the tables and table supports you see in the photo.

The table and support parts are made from aluminum plate and steel bar, except for the upper trunnions that affix to the tables. I bought those castings from Grizzly rather than making them because they have the scales casted into them.

Here is a model showing the underside of the right table. The lighter colored parts are the castings I bought.
Grinder Modifications v28.jpg

Last edited:
Back