Easy tool grinder questions

No doubt my lathe has endured a lot of abuse for the past 30 years but I still grind my bits (cutting tools) on a belt driven bench grinder. If the lathe does not run smoothly the bit is changed or altered by grinding and sometimes position. The shapes recommended are generally followed with the tip being set at the work center line as closely as possible using a spent "saws-all" blade to find that mid point. Yes it is cheap but it was all I had for many years; that is how I learned.

There is a used tool and cutter grinder in my shop now and I recently successfully sharpened a 4 flute 5/8" HSS end mill. Interestingly the machine's drill bit grinding section illustrates a swivel holder that I believe is manufactured by Stanley Tool Co.

I admire the ingenuity and ability of people that make their own tools. They take machining to a higher level.

In summary there are four important things that guide my machine operation: 1. Smooth operation, 2. The guidance and wisdom found on this web-site, 3. Recently started watching machinery videos on You Tube and 4. Cost

Have a good day
Ray

Back