Easy way to make boxes that look good

rgsparber

Active User
Registered
I own a small finger brake and can bend up boxes. Most of the time these boxes get the job done but don't look very classy. I decided to try my hand at making a box from aluminum extrusions. I started with a 1/8" x 1.5" x 0.75" channel section and mill the inside square. Then I closely fit aluminum 1/8" x 0.75" x 0.75" angle on the ends and secure them with a screw from the inside. The angle has a through hole and the channel is tapped. The screw barely extends through the channel. Then I mill the ends so the end of the channel is perfectly flush with the angles. I finish off with my belt sander on the ends and bottom. Now the screws are flush. The top plate is a close fit to the angles and the top of the channel. I have not found a way to attach this top plate that doesn't get in the way of the inside space. Maybe two screws in diagonal corners won't look too bad.

This box nicely holds a 9V battery and a 1" square circuit board.

I spent some time today playing with my new HF powder coating machine. The box and cover plate look good.

Rick Sparber

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the box? For some of us a picture is worth more than a thousand words!

No picture, it didn't happen. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Post uim.

"Billy G" :))

The box looks good, but I would have cut the sides down even with the front and back, then made the lid wider. That would have eliminated the little square voids on the top corners.

The box looks good, but I would have cut the sides down even with the front and back, then made the lid wider. That would have eliminated the little square voids on the top corners.

Most people that responded didn't like those corners. Two said to cut notches in the top plate which would be difficult for a newbie. Lowering the sides would eliminate those corners but then nothing aligns the top. I wonder if I can round the corners to solve the problem. Hmmm.

For some unknown reason, every time I try to open the PDF linked, my computer freezes and I have to use task manager to "unlock" it as internet explorer becomes unresponsive. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? (I am using Windows 8)

For some unknown reason, every time I try to open the PDF linked, my computer freezes and I have to use task manager to "unlock" it as internet explorer becomes unresponsive. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? (I am using Windows 8)

As a temporary work around, I could email you the pdf directly. Just contact me off line.

Rick
rgsparber@aol.com

Works fine for me. Win XP

Cheers Phil

This might be beyond my skillset... But I would try this:

1.mill the ends down flush to the sides.
2. cut a new lid the exact length of the whole box
3. mill a lip in each end of the top the thickness of the angle stock
4. mill a lip in each side of the top the thickness of the channel stock

With little filing and fussing the lid should sit on top of the box recessed into the box.

Like I said maybe beyond my skill.. but be fun to try!

Back