Ebay Score: 10" skinner 4 jaw chuck

rogerrabbit

Active User
Registered
It was one of those impulse things.. a 10" 4 jaw chuck and nobody had bid on it..ended getting it for $5 (plus shipping)!

Apopka-20120802-00082.jpgApopka-20120802-00083.jpg
Hopefully this is in good shape..
1. How do I check if is usable? seems to be tight, a little play side to side and in/out, but I have tried chucking anything in yet.
2. What are the backplate options? my default will be a 6.5" - 1-1/2 x8 threaded (clausing lathe) backplate and machine to fit from littlemachineshop. was thinking perhaps an old chain sprocket I saw at a recycler.. bad idea?
3. I was reading this article http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/7776-Fitting-Lathe-Chucks?highlight=chuck and I am not sure how to machine this.

here is my guess:
Mount the new backplace on the lathe and turn the outside diameter to a snug fit in the registration boss (seems to be exactly 6").
Clamp it in and then use transfer punches from the front to mark the drill positions.
Drill and thread to the correct diameter for the bolts.

would I have any issues with centering a piece of stock?

thank you very much in advance,
Roger

Apopka-20120802-00082.jpg Apopka-20120802-00083.jpg

It was one of those impulse things.. a 10" 4 jaw chuck and nobody had bid on it..ended getting it for $5 (plus shipping)!

View attachment 39160View attachment 39161
Hopefully this is in good shape..
1. How do I check if is usable? seems to be tight, a little play side to side and in/out, but I have tried chucking anything in yet.
2. What are the backplate options? my default will be a 6.5" - 1-1/2 x8 threaded (clausing lathe) backplate and machine to fit from littlemachineshop. was thinking perhaps an old chain sprocket I saw at a recycler.. bad idea?
3. I was reading this article http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/7776-Fitting-Lathe-Chucks?highlight=chuck and I am not sure how to machine this.

here is my guess:
Mount the new backplace on the lathe and turn the outside diameter to a snug fit in the registration boss (seems to be exactly 6").
Clamp it in and then use transfer punches from the front to mark the drill positions.
Drill and thread to the correct diameter for the bolts.

would I have any issues with centering a piece of stock?

thank you very much in advance,
Roger

Great deal! I'm definitely no expert, but I'd say that getting the registration accurately is the important thing.
However, as it's a non centering 4 jaw it's less critical than if it was a self centering chuck as you're always going to have to dial in the position of whatever goes in the chuck.

Here's a 'How To' from the LMS: http://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/Centering4-JawChuck.pdf

M

Last edited:
Clamp and transfer 1 hole only at first. Drill and tap that hole. Screw it back together snug with that one screw. Now you will be more accurate transfer punching the other 3 locations. Drill and tap the other 3 and it's a done deal. There are many ways to get from point A to point B. This is mine and has served me well. Just takes a little longer but you will be happy with the accuracy.

"Billy G" :whistle:

Back