Edge Pro Tram

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I been watching Youtubes and I see there is a dozen ways to tram the head on mill.But with this tool it seems that would make tramming so much easier and little quicker and accurate I guess.I know the indicators are as cheap as possible but maybe for this one purpose in life it will work each and every time.I'm not all about spending money but is it worth having and figure it would last life time if I don't drop it? 100.00Edge.jpg

I have one and it works good for me

It's a pretty easy and fun project to build one. I just used some random aluminum from the pile. Nothing wrong with the Edge Technology unit, just tossing the idea out there in case it sounds fun.

I have the Starrett version and it works quite well. However, if I were to make one, I would make the length of the beam about a foot long. These ready-made ones space the indicators about 5" or so apart and while it works, it lacks sensitivity. You are just as well off using a single dial indicator on a rigid arm to sweep the table from side to side. It will be just as accurate, although maybe a bit slower. Machinists have been tramming this way for as long as there have been mills.

Mike makes a good point. I would like to have a longer one. I usually use it to get close, then sweep with a DTI.

I have the Starrett version and it works quite well. However, if I were to make one, I would make the length of the beam about a foot long. These ready-made ones space the indicators about 5" or so apart and while it works, it lacks sensitivity. You are just as well off using a single dial indicator on a rigid arm to sweep the table from side to side. It will be just as accurate, although maybe a bit slower. Machinists have been tramming this way for as long as there have been mills.
Indeed, that is the way I have always done it, used a Starrett button back indicator.

One reason for using a shorter beam is that you can tram on the y axis on smaller mills.

This is true ... but you can also choke up on the arm of a single indicator holder and be just as accurate, but much slower. Like John, I've gone back to my Starrett back button indicator; I trust it more and it skips right over slots.

Back