Eisen 1440EV has Shipped!

sorry, I try to avoid the I told you so's but you now learned why this can be a valuable forum..
Its like the argument.. I don't need safety glasses, or gloves are not a risk, I'm safe..

Until someone is not.
I hear ya

So the guy coming over is one of the guys that rigs and moves large pieces of equipment and machinery where we work. Equipment 20 thousand pounds and more.
His comment was “it’s only 2300 pounds?” No problem.
If he gets there and his ideas won’t work, I finally found a place (finally, after the fact!!) that rents 8’ gantry cranes. It’s always the last place you look.
Once it’s up, I’ll assess the damage, check straightness with lasers, etc. and go from there.
Looking at it now the way it sits, I’ll probably need a new cross slide and handles - possibly new apron with controls.

Why didn’t I check with him first?
No freakin clue. Why didn’t I get a pallet jack in the first place like I should have? Again. No freakin clue. Stupidity I guess.

All you guys screaming “You should have heeded warnings, etc..”. Yeah. I know. Get off it now. That doesn’t help anything at the moment. It’s done.
Hopefully it’s salvageable more than I think.
Hey, when you get that Eisen 9x42" mill it'll be a walk in the park.

Been down that road too. It's a lesson you won't forget.

But, I will say that what counts is "experience", not necessarily "profe$$ional". I have tried to get riggers to move 8000 lb machines and couldn't get a call back. Guy in the next town over bought a brand new Okuma VMC (more than $100k) and took months to get it moved into his shop because of re-scheduling and hit/miss with riggers. It seems good riggers reject anything "residential". And cheap riggers, well, straps around overloaded lift gates says it all.

One alternative for anyone doing this is get a knowledgeable friend. First stop, check here! (Might be a fun opportunity to make a new friend). If you've never done anything like this before, it's a great opportunity to learn. Secondly, IF you can take the time to communicate with someone else, and you come up with a plan, talk through all the what-ifs, and then proceed, that 2 person approach gets through a LOT of the things one person would miss. Kind of like 2 pilots in the cockpit of a commercial airline, to double check everything.

@jareese, man I know how you feel- and I'm sorry about it landing butter-side-down.

I am 100% recovered from my spill (skate walked away while pivoting it- surprise, surprise) and it didn't cost me anything but pride. My damage is all repaired and everything is fine now, so bear with it!

Here's my story: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/goofs-blunders-you-should-avoid.49036/page-66#post-997496
You got lucky with it landing on the backside. Same skates I have, plus the Tri-wheel steering skate. What a POS that is. That’s why it tipped, hit the low spot with a crack and tipped to the non-wheel area. Point of no return isn’t very far from vertical. That was it. All done, game over man. Game over.

Been down that road too. It's a lesson you won't forget.

But, I will say that what counts is "experience", not necessarily "profe$$ional". I have tried to get riggers to move 8000 lb machines and couldn't get a call back. Guy in the next town over bought a brand new Okuma VMC (more than $100k) and took months to get it moved into his shop because of re-scheduling and hit/miss with riggers. It seems good riggers reject anything "residential". And cheap riggers, well, straps around overloaded lift gates says it all.

One alternative for anyone doing this is get a knowledgeable friend. First stop, check here! (Might be a fun opportunity to make a new friend). If you've never done anything like this before, it's a great opportunity to learn. Secondly, IF you can take the time to communicate with someone else, and you come up with a plan, talk through all the what-ifs, and then proceed, that 2 person approach gets through a LOT of the things one person would miss. Kind of like 2 pilots in the cockpit of a commercial airline, to double check everything.
When I read your first reply I felt the same way. But I feel its more or less what experience you obtained doing your given career. I also must say I hope without insulting whoever that in life common sense is your'e best asset. Having said that, I agree with having a knowledgeable friend
could have helped. Sorry, I mentioned your previous reply only to realize You were not the one who made it.

Last edited:
Hi, I would like to just add a little something to the conversation. A lot of people try to use the engine crane as a means of lifting machines. In some situations they can help but there wide leg span ( foot print ) makes them more trouble then they are worth. In the case of this lathe it is no use at all. I use a pallet jack instead. I also think an adjustable height "A" frame in a home shop is a must have in lieu on an overhead beam. In low ceiling shops a come along hoist (crank style) may be a better choice than a chain fall as it gives more work area being shorter. Just a possible option. Thanks, Charlie

Hi, I would like to just add a little something to the conversation. A lot of people try to use the engine crane as a means of lifting machines. In some situations they can help but their wide leg span ( foot print ) makes them more trouble than they are worth. In the case of this lathe it is no use at all. I use a pallet jack instead. I also think an adjustable height "A" frame in a home shop is a must have in lieu on an overhead beam. In low ceiling shops a come along hoist (crank style) may be a better choice than a chain fall as it gives more work area being shorter. Just a possible option. Thanks, Charlie
I wasn’t using an engine hoist for this, I was using machine skates. New home shop also, just setting it up, and I don’t have the funds for a bay length crane/hoist or A-frame at the moment. The lathe pretty much took all I had.

I wasn’t using an engine hoist for this, I was using machine skates. New home shop also, just setting it up, and I don’t have the funds for a bay length crane/hoist or A-frame at the moment. The lathe pretty much took all I had.
Hi, I wasn't referring to you at all, it was my general opinion and my way of stating my preference that may be shared by others. I would also like to mention I like your choice of the Eisen 1440 lathe. If this is your'e first lathe I commend you for going right to the 1440, something you will never regret. Charlie.

Hi, I wasn't referring to you at all, it was my general opinion and my way of stating my preference that may be shared by others. I would also like to mention I like your choice of the Eisen 1440 lathe. If this is your'e first lathe I commend you for going right to the 1440, something you will never regret. Charlie.
Gotcha. Thanks, hopefully there isn’t too much damage.

Back