Eisen 1440EV - Leadscrew not turning

jareese

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've been able to apply temporary power (will run condit and J-boxes later) and get everything running to check lathe functions, except for damaged cross-slide. Everything seems to be OK except the leadscrew is not turning. I found 2 detent balls in my chip pan, and I'm wondering if maybe that's the reason? When I was attempting to remove the cross-slide for damage assessment, I had removed the bearing block to allow the 3 shafts to come forward to release the saddle from the bed. When I did this, the 3 shafts (leadscrew, feedshaft and control rod) came loose a bit from the gearbox. I'm thinking the Detent balls are for the feedshaft? Only thing that makes any sense to me as there really isn't anything else they could have come from. I'm thinking they came from the area circled in red.

What are your thoughts? Am I on the right track? If so, is it as easy as removing the set screws and placing the detent balls back in, or do I need to pull the shafts again?

1680445073909.png

Their are balls for the leadscrew clutch assembly as you speak of. One way to find out is the output shaft for the leadscrew should spin under power. Yes the actual screw might not spin but does the shaft coming from gearbox spin?
Another area that has balls is the direction lever on the apron. The balls are detents for the lever stops for forward or reverse. The lever when thrown engages one of two switches for forward or reverse located in the quick change gearbox Assy. At least that’s how mine is setup.

Their are balls for the leadscrew clutch assembly as you speak of. One way to find out is the output shaft for the leadscrew should spin under power. Yes the actual screw might not spin but does the shaft coming from gearbox spin?
Another area that has balls is the direction lever on the apron. The balls are detents for the lever stops for forward or reverse. The lever when thrown engages one of two switches for forward or reverse located in the quick change gearbox Assy. At least that’s how mine is setup.
No, neither the leadscrew or feedshaft spin.

When you switch the lever for power does your VFD receive a signal from the apron directional switches? With the disassemble it might have taken switches out of engagement.

The top selector lever must be in position I to run the feedshaft. You may be able to get a neutral position between detent.

Screenshot_20230402-103942_Drive~2.jpg

Ok, got this issue figured out - it was in fact the 2 detent balls I found in the chip pan. Put them in and everything was turning. Found more damage from the fall though......

:face slap:

Back