Eisen Lathe Stock

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
Finally decided on which model PM lathe I wanted and now it's out of stock, along with plan B and C.

In the mean time I've learned about Eisen and like their 1224 and 1324 models but they are also out of stock. This seems to be the case when I read some forum posts about them and they haven't responded to my email about restocking frequency. Does anyone know how quickly they tend to sell out of these smaller machines and replace their stock?

Also, any other (new) makes and models a guy interested in a PM-1228 should know about (1236 would be my absolute max)? I'm familiar with Grizzly all ready.

I'd at least check used in your area. Sometimes those small hobby machines an be found in almost new condition. For 5K, an old 12x30 or 14x30 old iron machine might be a better bet if you can see and run it. Dave

I would go with the 1236T, better lathe than the 1228. Shows available in Feb 2024.

I wish buying used was an option but it has to be new.

Is this because of a capital equipment depreciation scheme, or a time-to-production crunch? New stuff is nice, but I'm jaded enough to say that the range you are looking in is hobby-grade compared to gently used industrial tooling. I know how that sounds, and I know about the hardass machinist's forum site that you usually see that sort of comment on, and that this is the friendly site, so don't take it the wrong way, but there is a truth there to be considered at this point in planning your purchase.

Is this because of a capital equipment depreciation scheme, or a time-to-production crunch? New stuff is nice, but I'm jaded enough to say that the range you are looking in is hobby-grade compared to gently used industrial tooling. I know how that sounds, and I know about the hardass machinist's forum site that you usually see that sort of comment on, and that this is the friendly site, so don't take it the wrong way, but there is a truth there to be considered at this point in planning your purchase.
It comes down to the fact I travel for work with no set schedule and I'm always very busy. I get very little time when I am home and when you combine that with the fact there is basically no used machinery showing up for sale in my area, I've resigned myself to buying new. I always keep my eyes peeled for local listings but I don't want to wait years for the stars to align where a machine presents itself and I have the time to check it out and arrange delivery.

I would go with the 1236T, better lathe than the 1228. Shows available in Feb 2024.
Yeah that's an alternative I'm strongly considering.

I wish there was a 1228 that was just a shortened version of a 1236, rather than scaled down. Even better I'd it was made in tiawan, which is why the Eisen 1224/1324 are interesting me now.

Case closed. It will disappoint some I'm sure but PM restocked their 1130V and I placed my order with DRO and some other nice accessories.

Back