EL 46P base dimensions

Babyseal

Registered
Registered
Picking up an Sheldon EL46P Wednesday. Intend to put it on dollies so I can move it around my shop while I clean and work on it. Does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the left and right pedestals? Are the bottoms flush with the floor, or is there a lip inside? If there's a lip, how deep is it?

Figure on using 4 car dollies, with 4 x 4s bolted to them, set eyes in the 4x4s so I can ratchet strap the lathe to the 4x4s before moving it. Alternatively, with the dimensions, I can knock together a custom dolly to fit each pedestal.

Good idea, or bad idea?

Make it much deeper than the lathe itself. All machines are top heavy and tipping over is a common demise.

Sorry I don’t have dimensions.

John

Make it much deeper than the lathe itself. All machines are top heavy and tipping over is a common demise.

Sorry I don’t have dimensions.

John
Well, thinking about it, probably just going to have it dropped in the shop door. Only scenario I need to move it around intact is in the unlikely event it's not a piece of crap and just needs some TLC. If so, build a carry frame, and put sliding outriggers front and back. Take the weight up with an engine hoist, slide them out and pin them extended for moving it around. Not out anything but some time and wire.

If it's got issues but worth fixing, I'll break it down to major assemblies. If it's crap, strip it for parts on the spot.

Back