Electgrical Gurus !!! Need some VFD evaluation

Wdnich

Active User
Registered
Today in my multi travels, I had to go look at some boat related items at a local salvage yard. While at the salvage place, talking to the yard super, he mentioned a huge lot of Sumitomo VFD's. Now initially he was high on his pricing, and I was hesitant. But then he started the roll " what would you give?" He proceeded to show me pallets of these things. They were destined for an elevator company that does retrofits and such, and they ended up with them.

Here is the link to one of the models

http://www.sumitomodrive.com/module...=brandOverview&area_id=9&product_id=14&sid=10

Now the twenty dollar question. Would these be suitable for uses on milling machines, lathes, and other 3 phase products? I have read some great reviews on the other sumitomo vfds, and wonder about these, since they are a better model than what I have researched.

I think I could get these at a really fair price. He looked serious on getting rid of some. Let me know an opinion on these things.

The answer is maybe. The link provided references 1/2 HP to 75 HP units. Without knowing the model numbers of the VFDs there is no way to evaluate the units. Sumitomo is a well known brand, and is top of the line equipment.

Typically for home use, 230V, single phase input capability is required, and a power rating in the range of 1/2 to 5 HP output, depending on application.

another plus for maybe... some of their documentation infers that they could be used on single phase but you would need to de-rate them by 1/2.. i.e. a 10 hp unit would be required for 5 hp single phase .. etc. you still might have some issues working out which input connections to use .. and or how to defeat their phase loss logic.. but it should be doable...

If any of the units are 230 volt.. and have 5,10,15 hp ratings and the price is right go for it.. the only other impediment being the somewhat poor translation of their technical docs..

rich

Be careful that they're not "soft-start" units. Not uncommon in elevator controls.

Sorry, but it looks like from reviewing the HF430 specs the input on them is 3 phase only. Unless you have 3 phase source power, they would be of no use. Most of us HM’s are looking for VFD models with 240V 1ph input.

There are single phase inputs also. I have to run back over there next week, and I will get him to let me have the actual documentation on the 4 models they have.

I linked the basic overall model listing because it was what I found handy. But not being soft start, might be the deal breaker in the long run.

My Mitsubishi FR-S500 series drive is 3 phase input, but the tech at the Mitsubishi office told me to put the two single phase hot wires on L1 & L2 and run a jumper from L2 to L3. It has run like that for 5 years now. I suspect the drive doesn't use phase loss monitoring. It is a 5hp drive running a 3hp motor.

You may have misunderstood my soft-start warning. You don't want a soft-start only unit because you can't control the speed. They start off slow and run the motor up to top speed then switch over to line power.

My Mitsubishi FR-S500 series drive is 3 phase input, but the tech at the Mitsubishi office told me to put the two single phase hot wires on L1 & L2 and run a jumper from L2 to L3. It has run like that for 5 years now. I suspect the drive doesn't use phase loss monitoring. It is a 5hp drive running a 3hp motor.

If you look at your manual, looks like you can do that because you have the “NA’ version.

If you look at your manual, looks like you can do that because you have the “NA’ version.

Your right. I do have the "NA" version. I cant find a reference in the manual what NA stands for.

Back