Electric motor is ticking

Check for up and down play in the shaft while the belts are off

Yup. Belt/pulley noise. Nailed it. The pulleys are well aligned (their faces anyway). No play in the shafts or pulleys to shafts.
Funny that turning the thing by hand was quiet. I'll try different belt tensions. If that doesn't work I'll turn up the music volume or put ear plugs in.

Speaking of hearing... If I hadn't been wearing my hearing aids it wouldn't have been a problem at all, as far as I would have known.

As always, thank you all. I have no excuse I have to finish the bowl now.

Line down last night and all today with a suspected motor failure . After 3 shifts , the motor was good , the drive was good , the transducer was not . Just another day . :dunno:

Time to study hard the entire belt, inch by inch. Use a bright enough light. The Sun is good!
Look for any irregularity that might cause ticking. Especially splits or tears starting out, or stuff that dropped on and became embedded.
Also look hard at the pulley(s). Even a small piece of plastic tape stuck in there somewhere can make a noise.

$950 for a motor must make a really exceptional motor!

If you run it with some Bon Ami or Ajax on the belt/pulleys it will clean them of rust, oxidation, etc. some bolt dressing might help too.

The bowl so far. Spinning, so you don't see the big tear-out I have to fix.

20221216_164735[1].jpg

Back