Electric Motor Problem

Hi Bill,
i don't know for sure if it will make your motor spin in reverse, but it is worth an experiment if you dare:
Black & White as one pairing
Red & Yellow the other pairing
power it up but be ready to pull the plug if there are any strange noises

OK..took a look at maybe reverse mounting the motor. Nope! Found 2 other motors while rummaging through a pile in the corner. One has no tag as it fell off so I don't even know the HP or RPM. The other is a 2hp and 3450 rpm (I think) which is too much for anything I own. Even the one I tried to mount is a bit much for what I have. But beggars can't be choosers. And here is a photo of the tag on the one I tried to mount.

CAM00015.jpg

It is probably possible to reverse the rotation of that motor, but you have to open the motor and bring out the start winding wires so they can be reconnected in the correct relationship to the run windings. A local motor shop might be helpful.

Well with no money for stuff like that I guess it will sit with the others til someone needs one. I will keep my eyes open for another motor as all I really need is a 1/2 hp.

Bill,

I have an idea that may work. Not sure because I've never tried it. But, considering that electric motor rotation is determined by the rotation of the magnetic field pulling the rotor around, I'm thinking that if you remove the end bells and reversed the stator, it may reverse the direction of rotation. But, if you decide to try this, you need to make sure that the rotor bars are still properly aligned with the ends of the stator bars. If they aren't properly aligned, the motor will run hot and probably at reduced efficiency. Rotors in electric motors try to find their "electrical center". This is probably not an issue with the design of most modern small single phase motors, but I have worked on many larger three phase motors that were designed with a certain amount of "rotor float" so that the rotor was allowed to find it's electrical center when in operation. There was enough float in some of the rotors that drive sheaves couldn't be aligned until the motor was running.
Just some food for thought.

Ted

Well with no money for stuff like that I guess it will sit with the others til someone needs one. I will keep my eyes open for another motor as all I really need is a 1/2 hp.

Bill are you able to take off the end bell that has the terminations to both windings?

I am thinking that there must be a way to reverse it if you can get at the connections to the start and run windings.

David

I don't trust myself enough with doing something like that. But I appreciate the thoughts and help. I will take a photo of the wires on the one I have no idea what the HP or RPMs are though. I think it has more wires but not sure. Will check tomorrow.

Ok Bill we understand. This is a family forum and I would do anything to help my family. If you don't feel comfortable opening it up that is fine. Sounds like you don't have lots of cash to throw around so I am sure some one on this site can help.

David

Bill,

That motor is not reversible without reconnecting the windings ( according to the tag). It can be made reversible most likely and fairly easy. Back in the 70's I rewound motors and armatures. I just changed one for myself not long ago. If you were closer , I would be glad to do it, but the shipping on those motors is horrible.

I don't know if you are comfortable trying it with some photos and guidance .

I did one last year when I built the Bonnelle grinder. There is a write up on it in that thread.

Well it will have to wait til next week anyway. I won't be around for a few days starting tomorrow. I will try and find the thread and bookmark it.

Back