Electric Problems With My Enco 13x40

In the first drawing it shows the transformer in the bottom center. Use your volt meter to verify the input voltage is 220. Then check the 5 terminals on the out put of the transformer to see that the out puts as per terminals in diagram is as stated. It looks to me like the light circuit, 6 volt out put, is empty in the photograph. (like the wire for the light circuit is hooked up some place else)

Tim

What Tim said... I don't see anything connected to the "0" side of the 6V leads. According to the diagram, the 6V and 29V windings don't share a common ground, though they're supposed to connect to a common ground. Check for 6V between the terminal marked "6" (wire # 11) and the screw immediately to the left of it. If that's good, make sure there's a connection between that terminal and the 29V zero (between the "6" and the "29" screws on the transformer). That connection may be a jumper between the two screws at the transformer or it may be a wire from each down to a common connection on the terminal block. Finally, check the fuses.

Also, it looks like your Z2 wire coming into the box is taped over (with black tape) and not connected to anything? That's a motor wire though, shouldn't affect the 6V circuit for the lights.

Sure nice to have the diagram! I didn't have one when trying to diagnose the stuck relay on my Jet mill, I had to trace it all out myself.

Well Jim was right, I took the transformer off and one of the wires was disconnected. Either it vibrated loose or someone took it off. I put it back on and with a jumper wire I just flashed it to the terminal I thought it went to and the light came on so I connected it and the light came on but it won't go off unless I unplug the machine. From the wiring diagram it looks like that is the way it is supposed to be. I pulled the front cover to access the switches and bulbs and a brown wire came off, I haven't figured out where it goes yet but the lathe won't turn on so tomorrow I'll get back to it after I study the diagrams more. Thanks for your help.

Some test meters don't read rms voltage on AC so their may be some discrepancies in voltage readings. Probably wouldn't be a massive difference though.

Stuart

Hey DJack did you ever get your Enco 13 x 40 electrical problem sorted out? I have expertise and can help.
Mark S.
Mt. View, Ca

Back