Electrical conundrum!

The one spade terminal on the switch/breaker has marks on it like _something_ was plugged into it. When everything's assembled, do the spade terminals stick out of the box? Maybe the box plugs into something?

The schematic shows 4 connections to the flame-out control box, labeled Black, White, Blue and Red. Your photos show two of the four so where are the other two? They could be spades the control box plugs into.

Two of the connections are the spade connectors on the breaker and the other two are blue and white wires
coming out of the control that go to the photo cell.

Yesterday I installed the XO203 sensitive SCR in the circuit board and test ran the heater.
It runs now about two minutes and shuts off. There is an adjustment screw on the relay
thing and turning it clockwise shortens the run time. Interestingly, the wire wound resistor
was quite warm after my testing which completely baffles me as there is only one wire
connecting to the relay and the photocell doesn't generate electricity as far as I can tell.
There has to be more to this than I can see...... Counter clockwise on the adjustment screw
and the heater still shuts off in two or so minutes.............!

The single wire probably is a ground that is opened or closed when the flame is present and causes the breaker to pop.

The photocell probably is an IR sensitive photoresistor. Sensors of this type don't generate voltage or current, they change their resistance according to the intensity of light hitting the element. The old-as-dirt CdS photocell is in this category--but yours likely is made from something else like lead sulfide so it can detect IR. Your photocell needs to "see" the flame in order for the heater to stay on (you probably already know that).

You may be looking at a thermal intermittent. They sometimes can be tracked down using freeze spray aimed at suspected components to see when the circuit starts to behave, or, conversely, a heat gun to see which part is heat sensitive.

The single wire probably is a ground that is opened or closed when the flame is present and causes the breaker to pop.

What is the probability that a single wire not connect to ground could ground anything?

Well, it's a complete mystery to me as the little circuit board is in a plastic box with one wire
going to the relay thing and the only other connections are the two wires that go to the photocell
which is mounted on a rubber insulating material. I appreciate everyone's comments. It's
just frustrating.

Wondering about the photocell connection. If you look at the schematic (link in message #11), the white lead from the photocell connects to the terminal board/ignitor module, not the flame-out control. The white lead from the flame-out control appears to go to the motor, via the terminal board.

It doesn't help that the manufacturer used the same color of wire in different parts of the circuit. I see White and Red used in several places. Lovely (not!).

You also may want to review the troubleshooting section of the manual.

Back