Electro Plating

The latter is what I wonder about. There was nothing unusual about the container until a while later I noticed at some places the plastic (normal white plastic jug you buy solvents and such in) was getting what looked like blisters or bubbles on the outside of it. Not all over the place, just every now and again, but I'd never seen a container go like that before. By that time it was outside and away from anything important but it did make me wonder if the plastic itself was somehow not holding up like it should. I suppose it could happen.

I have noticed that blistering on older jugs as well, In fact, I just checked my jug and it has blisters on the lower portion which is below the liquid level. The jug is made from HDPE and according to all the chemical resistance charts, it has an excellent rating but my jug has been around for multiple years so....

It would be a good idea to transfer the acid to a glass jug with a good cap, not metal. It's probably not that easy to find one any more though since plastic has pretty well replaced glass.

I have noticed that blistering on older jugs as well, In fact, I just checked my jug and it has blisters on the lower portion which is below the liquid level. The jug is made from HDPE and according to all the chemical resistance charts, it has an excellent rating but my jug has been around for multiple years so....

It would be a good idea to transfer the acid to a glass jug with a good cap, not metal. It's probably not that easy to find one any more though since plastic has pretty well replaced glass.
Go to a pharmacy and ask for a brown glass jug. They have gallons for the. Class drugs ask them to clean it out so they don't think you're skimming the remainder because you're a druggy.

Go to a pharmacy and ask for a brown glass jug. They have gallons for the. Class drugs ask them to clean it out so they don't think you're skimming the remainder because you're a druggy.
I have some friends who work in chem and biochem labs and have a good source. In addition, when I worked in an analytical lab, I was into developing my own film and to making wine so I brought home an ample supply. EDIT: of jugs!

Last edited:
You'll need to look through his videos but Mark Presling has some very good information on Electroplating...
Lots of great info there, THANKS
Still some refining to do but will try and summarize at the end, GsT
Sorry no photos today but will get some tomorrow.
Couple of interesting points.
The green copper acetate solution turned blue once I started plating in it. ??????
Something is making the copper solution foam while plating. Created a 2 inch tall foam mound above the jar. (might be the season, after a few years my pond has started to make foam above the aerator, creates interesting mounds when it freezes on cold nights)
Tested a piece of cold roll steel, gave it a quick go with a flap wheel to somewhat polish the surface, then masked it off and sandblasted the end with fine grit sand. Copper plated it then nickel plated it. A somewhat dull finish but the sandblasted end is pretty much indistinguishable from the rest. Going to give it a polish tomorrow with some brasso, the sandblasted area may show up then.
I have some small parts I silver soldered, wire brushed as best I can but still some flux hanging in the corners. A quick sand blast would clean them up IF I can get a nice plating over them. I expect not.

Thanks for looking, and the helpful suggestions

Greg

Back