Electrolysis, and cast iron.

bigtrev8xl

I Don't Do Rushing ;)
Registered
Electrolysis, and cast iron.
I been trawling the net for weeks, and totally confused as to whether electrolysis will harm/damage cast iron.
Has anyone tried it? if so what's your thoughts on it?
Thanks

In what context are you talking about electrolysis?

If you are referring to using electrolysis to remove rust on iron pieces, you should be ok. The work is the negative electrode and any surface rust is reduced at the expense of the positive electrode.

Cast iron does rust and I would expect that it is similar to steel in that regard so, for example, cast in contact with a metal like copper and exposed to a salt solution will corrode.

Thanks for your reply
Sorry I should've made it clear, yes it's for removal of rust
I've bought a Pallas mill, probably made in 1940ish, and is need of a total strip down and refurb.
Thanks

In what context are you talking about electrolysis?

If you are referring to using electrolysis to remove rust on iron pieces, you should be ok. The work is the negative electrode and any surface rust is reduced at the expense of the positive electrode.

Cast iron does rust and I would expect that it is similar to steel in that regard so, for example, cast in contact with a metal like copper and exposed to a salt solution will corrode.

I've done bench vises, milling machine tables and anvils with the electrolytic process and haven't seen any adverse effects. You should be fine.

I think I answered you on facebook, yes you can do it no problem. It's actually a very good method if you have a large enough tank.

Done it lots of times, no damage and the parts stay the same.size (not the case with muriatic acid etc.)
I use a 30A transformer type "Start & Charge" 12 volt charger, with a 32A MCB wired in between transformer and rectifier bridge (they don't work too well on DC) so don't have to hunt for fuses when the inevitable short-circuit happens...
Wash soda from the Proper Hardware Shop, scrap steel (NOT STAINLESS) or arc gouging rods as anode, away you go :)

Dave H. (the other one)

If you are worried about things like hydrogen embrittlement of a machine, I don't think that would be a problem with cast iron machine parts. Tool steel, perhaps.

If you are worried about things like hydrogen embrittlement of a machine, I don't think that would be a problem with cast iron machine parts. Tool steel, perhaps.
Thanks, I'll be doing the table on the mill soon

You'll need a big tank! If you can't find one, build one out of wood and line it with sheet plastic. Use more or bigger anodes than you think you'll need to speed things up; just wire them in series. For large objects like that milling table, plan to leave it in the tank overnight - it will come clean.

Back