Electrolysis Rust Removal... A vice this time!

Seaco

Registered
Registered
Err, OK so I took a chance and bought an old KURT 6" vice and if you know anything about vices you'll know KURT are bloody expensive I could never justify buying a new one but this one came up on Ebay and I thought I'd take a punt...

This is how I picked it up...

IMG_3471Copy_zps46d12f4c.jpg

IMG_3476Copy_zps80de9ddd.jpg

IMG_3472Copy_zps1c336e2a.jpg

So into the electrolytic bath it goes, I never tried to clean it off at all just bared a little metal for a contact point...

IMG_3487_zps44484d00.jpg

And after 24hrs... the rust that's left just wipes off and the black which is carbon I think needs a bit of elbow grease to remove but you can see the base metal just under it, it's the best way I've found for removing rust. I am going to leave it another day to see if it can get any better...

IMG_3490Copy_zpsfef8fd6b.jpg

They say the the process works on line of sight i.e. that the sacrificial anodes you use need to be able to see the areas of the rust you need to remove but in my experience and definitely in this case a lot of the rust couldn't be seen by the anodes and it still removed it all over it has even removed the rust from underneath the vice. All I had was two metal plates about 8"x4" one at each end...

Ok so I've moved on managed to get it all apart, cleaned and got it primed ready for a top coat...

As it came apart
IMG_3495_zpsf239159b.jpg
Basic cleaning...
IMG_3502_zps1ae13736.jpg

Proper cleaning and primed...
IMG_3509_zpsbd8095fc.jpg

OK so DON'T use Hammerite Special Primer on cast iron, I had to get it all off today right bloody job still it's done now, new etch primer and top coat...

IMG_3524Copy_zpsf8cd7088.jpg

Just jaws and a handle to make now!

IMG_3531Copy_zps608e7537.jpg

IMG_3534Copy_zpsf6095e37.jpg

Including new labels very kindly sent to me from Kurt free of charge...

IMG_3566Copy_zps57235442.jpg

And finally with newly made jaws...

IMG_3593CopyCopy_zps8119b845.jpg

Lee

Shmicko! Looks just like a, errr Kurt vice....
Was the price good?

Cheers Phil

Thanks for sharing and excellent restoration. I’m now a believer in the electrolysis tank!

:greenwithenvy:

A very nice job, and a good advertising both for electrolysis and for the quality of Kurt vises: at least they could send you a new set of jaws and not just new labels, for what you have done to promote their products :biggrin:
BTW, where did you recover it, from the Titanic?

You need a framed color 14" x 12" or whatever that is in cm's, mm's photo of that vice hanging right by your clock!

Shmicko! Looks just like a, errr Kurt vice....
Was the price good?

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Yes it was a good price £40 or as the Americans would say $68...

Lee

- - - Updated - - -

:greenwithenvy:

A very nice job, and a good advertising both for electrolysis and for the quality of Kurt vises: at least they could send you a new set of jaws and not just new labels, for what you have done to promote their products :biggrin:
BTW, where did you recover it, from the Titanic?

Thanks Marco, it was in a farm yard just left on a wall I found it on eBay and when I arrived to collect it, it was still on the wall he hadn't even bought it inside to sell...

Lee

You can also remove rust using molasses . Look on you tube. I think the mix ratio is one part molasses to four parts water. Has to sit in the bath for several days. Comes out clean with rust removed even in deep pits

You can also remove rust using molasses . Look on you tube. I think the mix ratio is one part molasses to four parts water. Has to sit in the bath for several days. Comes out clean with rust removed even in deep pits

Back