Electronic Angle Gauges - Who uses them?

Are we talking about one of those angle cubes (that's what I like to call them :big grin:)? If yes, IMO they're not that great for machining setups cause they can only be used in the vertical position.

I have the AccuRemote one but I only use it for my knife sharpener.
View attachment 292776

I used to use a different one that had more features. It could be used laying on it's back & could measure the angles of 2 planes simultaneously. But it had an internal rechargeable battery, everytime I went to use it, it would be dead.
View attachment 292777

IMO angle finders like these would be more useful for machining since it could be used in any orientation. Like the angle cube it's not that accurate. But as mentioned, both would be perfectly fine for non-precision use & setting up/checking things in the shop.
View attachment 292778

I have a SPI branded digital protractor. It's claimed to have an accuracy of 5 minutes & resolution of 30 secs. It's a cheap China tool & I don't trust it's accuracy but it's plenty good enough for anything I do. I rarely ever use it though. I originally wanted a vernier protractor but I scored this one on ebay for cheap from a seller who didn't know what it was. These things originally cost over $300. No way I would pay that much for one, no matter, looks like they don't make it anymore. No surprise. ;)

View attachment 292779View attachment 292780
SPI is usually swiss or japanese... did you see something on the box that said Chinese? Thanks, TIm

SPI is usually swiss or japanese... did you see something on the box that said Chinese? Thanks, TIm

SPI doesn't make tools these days, they just put their name on it, like Folwer. Actually Folwer sold the very same protractor with their name on it. Perhaps they did a long time ago but they haven't in a long time as far as I'm aware. And SPI is owned by MSC now.

I have several electronic angulators. The first I bought was an iGaging Angle Cube. Worked well, and when I decided to get another (to be kept at another machine) I looked for another Angle Cube. All I could find from iGaging was one that was USB rechargeable. Bought it, but disliked it for several reasons. Got rid of it and bought the Wixey "equivalent." This one's a keeper! Slightly smaller numbers on the display, but it has a better way to tell you which side of level you're at when near zero. My third angulator is a Wixey protractor. This one is also very handy. I've had it several years now, and use it about every month.

My previous angulator was the protractor head from a Starrett combination square. Handy and good to about a degree. But the electronic ones have pretty much taken over.
Angulators.jpg

My Android smart phone has an effective level sensor built in. The are a number of level apps available that permit reading angles to within .1º. My LG phone has better repeatability than my Angle Cube.

darkzero,
I just realized the two photos of the Wicked Edge are different versions... both earlier than mine, it appears. What is the attachment on the front of this one? It looks like a squaring attachment. My squaring attachments go on the cross bar. Those padded washers on the rods look like a good idea, too.

darkzero,
I just realized the two photos of the Wicked Edge are different versions... both earlier than mine, it appears. What is the attachment on the front of this one? It looks like a squaring attachment. My squaring attachments go on the cross bar. Those padded washers on the rods look like a good idea, too.

Oh nice, another WE user! The second pic is the original version that I got for cheap at a gun show when they first came out. They didn't even have 800/1000 stones back then. They later updated the rods & vise with a riser. When I called to order the updated parts they told me it was covered under warranty & sent me all the new updated parts. Great company!

In the pic you are asking about, that is how my WE is today. Upgraded arms again (heims & fine adjust) along with the quick release vise. The arm on the front is the quick release lever for the vise. I also milled the jaws of the quick release vise flat, I didn't like the recessed part of them, wouldn't hold smaller blades good but it does now. The only thing that is still original from when I first got it is the base.

The rubber washers I added when it was in it's original form, to keep dust out of the arm joints. I added tight fitting tapered bushings on top of them to keep them in place but not necessary. Firgured I'd just keep using them everytime I upgraded the arms.

Here's the scissor attachment I made using a Tormek attachment, back before WE made a scissor attachment. I like mine better anyway. :big grin:

Back