electronic lead screw

Happy Christmas to you RJ, & all the Sakowski clan/s
Cheers, & lots of quiet nights too:)

The joys of urban life! Our nearest neighbor is a quarter of a mile away and all our neighbors go to bed earlier than we do. We also have very litle traffic on our road, especially after 6PM. It makes for a quiet life.

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

BTW, I had the tuning software all along. I had downloaded the compressed file before I actually got the driver and hadn't bothered to install it. My issue now is that I can't establish the COM link. I wired up my own cable and as I recall, the RXD and TXD lines are crossed, but no joy. I checked my COM port on my laptop with a loopback connection and it is functioning. There's no way of checking the driver end though.

Maybe it's a sign. The first rule of engineering is if its working, don't fix it.

And a very Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

BTW, I had the tuning software all along. I had downloaded the compressed file before I actually got the driver and hadn't bothered to install it. My issue now is that I can't establish the COM link. I wired up my own cable and as I recall, the RXD and TXD lines are crossed, but no joy. I checked my COM port on my laptop with a loopback connection and it is functioning. There's no way of checking the driver end though.

Maybe it's a sign. The first rule of engineering is if its working, don't fix it.
Sorry missed the email prompt.
Thankyou for your sentiments too.
Yes agree re the E.rule
But am really curious, esp now u have done real world tests, as to what the tuning differences would actually be, if any.
Someone (Briney?) indicated that the software generally is clunky. So maybe a mysterious stepper driver setting needed? Or something in the s/w? Maybe another forum like cnczone can help.
I doubt if u are Robinson Crusoe here

I guess my main interest was to see what the default operating parameters were. I think the operation is close to the ragged edge but still functional. My preference would be to have a greater operating margin.

I'm not sure why I can't connect. The computer COM port is working; I verified that with another serial device. As I read the CL57T diagram, TXD is an output and should be connected to the computer RXD pin and the RXD is an input and connected to the computer TXD pin. Gnd is connected to Gnd pin on the computer and the +5 pin is unconnected. It's possible that the CL57T driver serial connection is not functioning or the RJ11 plug isn't connecting, I suppose.

Is the board logic-level or RS-232? If it’s logic level you might need a transceiver to talk to the computer...

Baud rates and parity and such all match up?

I finally got the driver to communicate with a computer, an old desktop running XT. For some reason, it won't communicate with my laptop with identical COM port settings.

Anyway, the settings of interest are: encoder resolution, 4000; lock shaft current 40% of max; max following error 4000 counts; motor peak current, 8 amps.; and closed loop holding current, 45%.

I finally got the driver to communicate with a computer, an old desktop running XT. For some reason, it won't communicate with my laptop with identical COM port settings.

Anyway, the settings of interest are: encoder resolution, 4000; lock shaft current 40% of max; max following error 4000 counts; motor peak current, 8 amps.; and closed loop holding current, 45%.
Great stuff RJ, what was on laptop, win 7?
Been trying to find this,
an interesting link re certain type of lower count encoder, cheeeep, but issues:

Great stuff RJ, what was on laptop, win 7?
Been trying to find this,
an interesting link re certain type of lower count encoder, cheeeep, but issues:
The laptop is running Win 7 Ultimate and the COM port is on the docking station. I thought that I had solved the mystery when I discovered an internal connection between the RI pin and the DTR in the RS232 plug which I removed with a .045" drill but it is still not working. I tried using a USB to RS 232 adapter but the lowest available COM port was 15 and the software only allows up to COM 10. :surrender:.

I have another small desktop with an RS232 port which I will try. I would like to have the ability to make changes in situ if necessary.

Thanks for the link on the encoder. An interesting read.

The laptop is running Win 7 Ultimate and the COM port is on the docking station. I thought that I had solved the mystery when I discovered an internal connection between the RI pin and the DTR in the RS232 plug which I removed with a .045" drill but it is still not working. I tried using a USB to RS 232 adapter but the lowest available COM port was 15 and the software only allows up to COM 10. :surrender:.

I have another small desktop with an RS232 port which I will try. I would like to have the ability to make changes in situ if necessary.

Thanks for the link on the encoder. An interesting read.
I had been warned a while back re those rs232 adapters, compatibility. Thanks for that info re port limits.
Yes would be great if someone were to crack open the 4096 transitions encoder & see what booboos if any r inside!
BTW , never heard of win 7 Ultimate! Wonder if thats a north America special?

Back